What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sliding Canopy Removal - Easy Way?

lrfrey

Well Known Member
I want to remove the canopy on my completed 7A to buff out a couple of scrtches on the inside. Has anyone come up with an easy way to do it without amasing a small army of helpers.

I thought about a small block and tackle but don't really have enough room in the hangar to push the plane back out of the way after the canopy is hoisted up.

Thanks, Larry (gettin' really close....)

1 or 2 person job

It's really not that hard to do it yourself, the canopy itself is quite light just a bit awkward to handle. Having 1 helper on the opposite side will add to your confidence the first time you do it. Once you've got the "opposite side" up a few inches, just swing it around or take a few steps back to get it clear of the plane. I guess if you're not very tall (I'm just barely 6'), it will be more difficult.

Putting it back on solo is a little harder but very doable. If plane is painted, 1 helper will certainly make you feel better.

The first few times I did it, I had my wife help but most of the time I did it by myself.

Canopy30.jpg
Canopy31.jpg

First, you have to modify your tracks where they meet the baggage bulkhead as pictured above. Although these are pictures from my Rocket build, I did the same thing on my RV-6. With these in place, you can simply slide the canopy all the way to the rear, lift the wheels out of the tracks, and continue to slide the canopy off the center rail. One person can do this although two people will ensure you don't scratch your paint on the turtledeck.

In order to give credit where credit is due, master builder Tom Martin showed me this trick.

Last edited:
Thanks guy's, excellent info as usual. I was so used to taking the canopy off before I installed the wings (had a platform then) that I completely ignored the idea of sliding it rearward then lifting it off!

Standing on the wing to take it off, I could just see myself falling off the wing and breaking both my behind and the canopy. Thanks again.

Larry

Canopy30.jpg
Canopy31.jpg

First, you have to modify your tracks where they meet the baggage bulkhead as pictured above. Although these are pictures from my Rocket build, I did the same thing on my RV-6. With these in place, you can simply slide the canopy all the way to the rear, lift the wheels out of the tracks, and continue to slide the canopy off the center rail. One person can do this although two people will ensure you don't scratch your paint on the turtledeck.

In order to give credit where credit is due, master builder Tom Martin showed me this trick.

Another option, if you don't want to modify the tracks, is to replace the AN3 bolts that hold the canopy frame to the roller wheels with detent pins. I bought 2 pins that matched the length & diameter of the bolts. Works great, and all I have to do is pull the pins on each side, lift the front and slide it back to get the block to clear the slide track. Easy to get off, takes a little patience trying to put it back on...not bad though.

Back