What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider Windshield Supplier

Geeman

Well Known Member
Looks like I have found an RV-6 to purchase and it seems to be a nice airplane and the price is fair. One thing that really bothers me is the windsheild is really scratched up. The builder installed the frame/trim with pop rivets and screws, so it looks like it would not be a huge job to replace. My question....can you buy just a slider windsheild without buying the whole canopy glass. I was thinking some company out there made one but can't remember.

Thanks.

Windshield Scratches

You can sand the scratches out using finer and finer grades of wet sanding. Severe scratches could use some machinery such as a Dremel tool and compound. Finish the job with progressively finer polishes.

I agree with Vern that you should try polishing the scratches prior to replacing the windshield. You will want to be careful that you do the polishing somewhat symmetrically, so as not to change the optics of the plastic.
It takes time, but I know of folks that have saved themselves from replacing the window.
There are some videos available online that have some good info.

Last edited:
I recommend you try THIS first.

It works very well, and if you are willing to put in the time (still less than it would take to install a new one) you can make it like new.

Back