What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

slider troubles

Trevor778

Well Known Member
Hey everyone. I'm fighting with the slider canopy and am starting to get really frustrated. Here's the situation. Right from the beginning my frame and canopy fit terribly. to position the frame for the "best fit" I was instructed by Vans to split the difference of having gaps in the front bow and the aft portion of the spine. This left me after the big cut and trimming with a 1/4 inch gap at the front bow and a few spacers on the aft of the spine. So I had to make a spacer for the front bow of the canopy frame. I know, less than ideal. I have now trimmed the windscreen and am at the point where the plans show a 3/8" height difference between the center of the frame front bow to the top of the roll bar. The issue is that with a 1/4" spacer between the canopy and the bow the top of the canopy is much higher than the top of the windscreen. So I guess my question is should I knock off as much of the leg where the rollers attach to bring the transition between the screen and the canopy to something acceptable? Or do I shim the windscreen to match the canopy? How critical is that 3/8" difference or is that just a nominal value assuming no spacers for a smooth transition? If I cut off 1/4" from the roller legs this will make the top of the roll bar to center of the frame height difference 1/8".

Hope this all made sense and I appreciate your responses.

Trevor

You must be talking about detail B on drawing 43. Study this, compared to section K-K, and keep the fairing in mind that comes next. Detail B, is at the top where the slider roll bar and plexi is higher than the windscreen roll bar and plexi... This is because the fairing that comes next will mostly follow the upward slope of the windscreen... Not dive rearward or flatten out. The sides however are straight and flush. And every point in between is somewhere in between. Use a straight edge to start envisioning how the windscreen fairing will Transition from windscreen to slider. I'd say yes, you need to adjust the height of something to get a decent transition.

It seems common for the windscreen to sit tight down on the roll bar but have 1/4" of shims down toward the bottom sides, washers work good, superglue stacks of washers together.

Last edited:
Back