What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider sub panel bends ?

flydjd

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Re Dwg 24 for the Slider and the bends in the 3 sub panels i.e. F-7105A and F-7105B L & R.

Where is the detail for measurements to bend these to fit F-721A L & R and the F-902 bulkheads i.e. horizontal distance from bottom and bend angle .... OR are you expected to just eyeball it :eek:

Thanks

David-From memory, I think your are talking about the .032 angles at the top of the panel that connect the panel to the top fwd. skin? I had to make these about 3 times to get it right! That dwg. (upper right corner) has the lengths that you have to cut them to, but from that point on it is all by eyeball.

What I did the 3rd time that finally worked is this: 1. flute the angle until it roughly matches the shape of the panel, but make sure you don't flute where the panel screw holes will be. 2. With the panel attached to the ribs, and the skin clecoed to the ribs, place the angle up against the panel and top skin and drill the skin holes first (this may require a helper, though I somehow did it by myself, I think by reaching up under the side of the fwd skin). 3. With the angle clecoed to the top skin, you can then drill the #19 holes for the panel, then install the platenuts. Good luck. Hope you get them on the first try!

Hi Steve

Thanks for the fast and detailed answer.....actually No...I have done those OK...it is the 3 Sub Panels that I was asking about.....but thanks again for trying to help :D

Sorry David. Didn't read your post right. I'll go home and check tonight to see what I'm missing, but I don't think you should have to bend any of your 3-part subpanel at all. The outboard edges of the side pieces should lay flat on the forward side of the F902 bulkheads (where you attach them with 6 rivets each). The only bends I'm aware of are at the bottom flange, but it doesn't attach to anything, and at the flanges that attach the side pieces to the center piece (up at the top). Mine all came pre-bent at those locations though. (Perhaps I'm still confused about the parts you are talking about. :( )

If you'd like, I can take a picture of mine tonight. I'd be happy to do so. Hang in there.

Re Dwg 24 for the Slider and the bends in the 3 sub panels i.e. F-7105A and F-7105B L & R.

Where is the detail for measurements to bend these to fit F-721A L & R and the F-902 bulkheads i.e. horizontal distance from bottom and bend angle .... OR are you expected to just eyeball it :eek:

It's very subtle, I guess Vans figured you would notice it. I don't know where you at in your build but yes, they should be bent. It makes the sub panel fit better against the bulkhead. You can see in the cutout from the plans below where they indicate the bend location, but not the amount. I guess you have to estimate it.

bendqy6.png
[/URL][/IMG]

bend2uu9.png
[/URL][/IMG]

It needs to bend at the longeron line at the same angle as the firewall and panel, about 8 degrees. This will cause it to be in the correct position to align with the rivet holes in the top skin and ribs.

Larry

Back