What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

slider roll bar placement

Trevor778

Well Known Member
I must be missing something here. RV-7 slider roll bar, I measured off of the pre punched hole 2-5/8" aft as per the measurements on the plans dwg 42 section c-c. go to drill off the roll bar I make a quick mark on the bottom of the bar just to confirm I'll be able to retain my edge distance (must be learning a few things along the way). When I check I find that to get minimum edge distance on the forward bolt I would need to move the roll bar forward nearly 1/4"! I checked all the measurements for the pilot holes, I dont have the drawings with me but I recall 1/2" aft of an indicated rivet and 7/8" inboard from the skin. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any and all insight.

will adjusting the width of the roll bar give you the edge distance you need? I don't envy you if that needs spread or closed......

Nope, I have 7/32" on each side, which is what the instructions require. To achieve edge distance I would need to slide the whole roll bar forward 1/4"

its been a few years but, these are for a 3/16 bolt on the forward portion and a 1/4 bolt on the rear right? where is the clearance issue? edge distance on the longeron?

I did this about a month ago and took a few pictures. It was a royal pain installing the aft two bolts. Just glue the washer and nut to the shim, feed into place with 90 degree needle nose from a a foot or so back and slide into position and get that bolt started.

yE6Ov5Xh.jpg

lf6MJLuh.jpg

The edge distance issue is in the forward 3/16 bolt. I'm away from my shop for a few days, maybe after looking at it after a little break I can figure it out.

Back