What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider or TipUp cannopy

BobCollins(AA)

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,
I will be ordering my QB fuselage at the beginning of June but still have not decided which canopy to order (slider or tipup). Where could I read about pros and cons.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Where could I read about pros and cons.

Thanks

Bob

Right here in this very thread:D

Just need to wait awhile for it to fill up with other folks opinions.

For my $0.02, I find a slider to be preferable-----easier to get into and out of it. At least for me it is easier.

But, I only visit in one now and then, my plane has doors:rolleyes:

Hi there Bob
If you click on the VAF forums link and scroll to the lower part of the page you will see the never ending debate section titled Slider vs Tip up. That should be a good start. Welcome to Wa State. My wife and I spent lots of time on Whidbey Island camping and took the ferry from your hometown to Langley.
Enjoy your build.

Hello Bob
There is a bunch of RV 7s near you in Arlington. Mine is an A slider and there are tip ups as well....give a call come up and have a seat, try em out and only you can make up your mind on this one. Im in Alaska now but will be home (Arlington) soon. Dont know how soon your making the decision but trying them out is the only way.
Laith
[email protected]

Mission

Bob,
What is your mission? If you intend to fly your plane with your hand (vice your fingers), yankin' and bankin' to a point that you'll need a parachute, then I recommend a slider. The tip-up plans don't lend themselves to a canopy jettison (although you CAN incorporate the function into the canopy). With the slider, you can get out with the chute more easily than Pappy Boyington in WWII.

Otherwise, it's really a matter of whether you like the totally uncluttered view with no canopy bow...or the view others have watching you on the ground with the canopy rolled back and your arm hangin' out the side like a P-40 AVG ace. :D

Next: If you're building a taildragger, the slider works better. The tip-up gets in the way while trying to climb in with the tail-dragger. Not an absolute...just a consideration.

Me? With 2000 hours of F-4 Phantom back seat time, with a grand total of ZERO forward viz? The tip-up was a no-brainer. :cool:

Entry/ Exit with Tipper?

Just as a point of disagreement, the tipup reall doesn't get in the way with a taildragger, in fact, after rides in sliders, I find entry and exit from the tipper is actually easier.

Just as a point of disagreement, the tipup reall doesn't get in the way with a taildragger, in fact, after rides in sliders, I find entry and exit from the tipper is actually easier.

That is the way I find it too, but I have gotten in and out of tip-ups around a few hundred times more often. I suspect it is a matter of familiarity.

How about a tip back canopy? That'd be nice. Best of both worlds. Quick jettison and lots of air during taxi. Military-like too.

good idea

How about a tip back canopy? That'd be nice. Best of both worlds. Quick jettison and lots of air during taxi. Military-like too.

That is a good idea. One of the reasons I want a slider is for the roll bar and windshield protection. Having it tip back at that point may be something to look into. I have seen post talking about a slider - tip up modification, maybe that is what they do? If the canopy slid back a foot, then tipped up, maybe that would give you the option of getting air, and allow for easier access. I have to say, the only RV I have ever ridden is was a 9a with a slider, and it was pretty easy to get into.

I have seen some very nice RV's this past week in the Denver area and one thing I noticed was how much work it takes to fit the canopy and frame to the plane. I came home and looked at the plans. There must be an easier way to make it easier and give it more water and air leak protection. I remember as a kid flying in a Navion and it had a pretty good canopy. The Grunman I rode in a few times leaked like a screen door. I actually enjoy doing fiberglass work, but I like easy too!

Hi Everyone,
I will be ordering my QB fuselage at the beginning of June but still have not decided which canopy to order (slider or tipup). Where could I read about pros and cons.

Thanks

Bob

See if you can find one of each nearby, and get yourself photographed in each. Pick the design that makes you look best :)

Thanks for the help. I have decided to go with the slider after trying both.mI ordered the standard build wing and looking forward to continue building. Once again thanks for the support

Cool!

One summer taxi and the slider is a no brainer! And of course you look "cooler!" Word of caution, don't forget to make sure your passenger's arm is not hanging over the side when closing. Ask my wife to show you the bruise! It's now in my checklist before closing!

One summer taxi and the slider is a no brainer!

Perhaps where you live has something to do with the decision people make. Places that are generally hot and humid would definitely make me consider the slider. But if you're up north or west where there's less temp & humidity, the tip-up might be acceptable.

mission as much as method?

To add fuel to the fire, there may be other ( endless?) considerations.
f'rinstance....if you preflight in the shade of a hangar, then the hot or cold cockpit is less of an issue.
If you do formation or photos, the clear view of the tipper is going to be high on the list.
-dry climate?
-do you add something to the panel every 3 months?....weeks?:)
-your age and ......agility?

Tip up

I have flown all RV types. Given istruction in RV's for 22 years. I have done first flights on over 20. If you plan to do more taxiing get a slider. If you plan to do more flying get a tip up. There is nothing better than a totally un-obstructed view. No canopy bar or center post. Most make a slot that allows you to taxi a tip up and stay cool no problem on a hot day. Steve AA MD-80

Back