What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider frame to wide after glass????

SHORTRV7

Well Known Member
When building my slider frame I did not bend it in far enough. Now the frame is about 1/8 to 3/16 inch to large which makes my rollers tight and somewhat hard to slide. Is there any way to pull it together approximately 1/8 to 3/16 inch without harming anything? I don't want to crack the glass!!

A Russian builder solved the problem by placing the canopy in hot sauna for an hour. Temperature was about +90 Celsius. The result was very good the structure "shrunk" just enough to slide easily. The tension of plexi was relieved.

Canopyinsauna.jpg

Try Lubricating the track

When I first fit my slider canopy it was very difficult to open and close. I was not a happy camper.

One day I decided to try a little dry lube (like for bike chains) on the track. It made huge difference.

Slider Frame Too Wide

Don -

My canopy was also too wide after attaching the plexi (SikaFlex).

I built a plywood box big enough to cover the canopy. Wrapped a ratchet strap around the front and pulled it really tight. Put the canopy on the concrete floor. Added a few halogen lamps and a small fan to keep the air moving to prevent hot spots. Put the box over the whole mess and plugged it in. A few small holes to stick a thermometer thru to monitor the temps inside. If memory serves, I was trying to maintain about 160-deg F for about 6 hours. Blankets drapped over the box helped regulate the temps. After baking, turn the lights off but leave the cover on - let it cool slowly.

Three or four attempts with the strap tighter each time finally got it close enough.

Same as Neal

I did essentially the same process with space heaters and blankets. It worked.
Good luck.

David

Wow, you guys are hard-core! I sikaflexed my canopy and found that the plexi pulled the frame outward enough to cause a lot of drag on the wheels when opening/closing. So I gently pulled the bottom of the frame together and used duct tape to hold it there (about 5 strips)...then set it out in the sun for a few hours. That worked.

It may be a problem repeating what I'm doing this time of year, though...depends on where you live! :D

Also, I've heard that almost all canopies are tight when first fitted...they loosen up over time. I've noticed that on mine, too.

slider blocks

I installed two little slider blocks attached to the roller supports. They contact the upper edge of the track, and keep the wheels in the center of the track. They have plastic UHMW pads on them, and they work great. Search the archives for pics of this solution. Also, a little dri-slide and a clean roller track really helps a lot. mine closes real easy.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for all of the responses, I think I will try the 100 degree day next summer. I appriciate all of the help.
Don

Back