What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider frame slightly too wide after fitting plexi

petersb

Well Known Member
After fitting plexi the frame is 1/4 inch too wide at rollers. A gentle push will make it fit.

I dont want to make adjustments, if possible, and risk changing other areas that fit nice now.

The only problem I can see is the outward pressure on the rollers that may make them bind.

Comments please

Peter

This happens to almost everyone. You will have to gently bend the frame inward to counteract the expansion of the plexi. On my RV-7A I used hand pressure to do this with the plexi off, bending it inward about as much as I saw the plexi pushed it outward. Putting the plexi back on, I saw it was very close; one more gentle bend and it fit perfectly. You're not talking about a large amount of adjustment here, easy does it.

I had this same problem with my 9A-I messed with the frame and did find that every time I corrected for the outward pressure on the rollers I misaligned some other part of the frame-even with gentle adjustments.
Finally I decided to just leave it and accept the outward pressure on the rollers. Initially, it was a little difficult to slide the canopy but with time the resistance has become less and less. I frequently check the rollers and the roller tracks to be sure that there is no excessive wear on either and so far, after 370 hrs, there has been no problem.
Of course the decision is up to you and as Stein always say, "just my two cents worth."

Peter K
9A-370 hrs

I tried bending by hand, no luck. I then used a ratchet strap attached at the front and after pulling the frame in over 2 inches it still sprung back to the original dimension, it may have put a small twist In the frame.

At this point I stopped without solving the problem. Should I maybe use blocks mounted to the work bench?

Peter

I didn't need to do this but I've heard it done. Put a small button size disc of teflon on the outside roller where it contacts the rail. Might have to use proseal or some other super adhesive to keep it in place. Maybe even a squirt of a teflon lube on the disc surface as well. Should ease the friction for an easier slide.

Jim

Back