What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider frame fit - Lucky or missing something?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
I've been working on fitting my slider frame and other than cutting down the front tubes a little, it seems I have a very good fit. I've got my 1/16th side clearance in the closed position - just barely towards the aft end of the slider rail.

The rear "pin" on one side touches the skin very lightly at the minimum clearance point - but I think I can bend tab with the pin out a little to give me an extra 1/16th.

Did I just get lucky? :) I was expecting weeks of bending and frustration, but it seems if I start bending things, I'm more apt to make it worse then any significant improvement.

Run with it

Some seem to fit well right out of the box. Must be clean living on your part! Mine was a mess, but after cutting and welding, will work just fine.

I was wondering if the QB fuselage has fewer problems with canopy frame? I'm doing SB tail and wings, but QB fuse is still an option.

mdredmond said:
I was wondering if the QB fuselage has fewer problems with canopy frame? I'm doing SB tail and wings, but QB fuse is still an option.

Probably not. From what I've read in the instructions and the RVator, most of the variations seem to happen when the canopy frames are welded. I guess it is very difficult to make them all the same. Some of us get lucky and it fits OK, and some of us don't. :mad: How accurately you bend your longerons will have some effect on how well the canopy fits, but with match-hole technology, I think most of our fuselages are reasonably close to being the same size.

Canopy Frame

You will probably notice that the current frame geometry will change when you get the canopy clecoed onto it. My frame fit well at first, then the canopy spread it out a little so the rollers weren't smoothly rolling down the track.. I had to uncleco the canopy and squeeze the frame a little undersized to compensate for what the canopy wanted to do. Not a big deal if you are only making minor adjustments. Just don't apply pressure at the welded joints. One of mine broke and I had to have it rewelded.
Good luck!

canopy fit

Hello Rick A.

I am just rapping up the canopy and I had the same fit as you. I thought that the fit looked good so I was not going to screw that up by trying to make it perfect what ever that my be. So good luck and keep workng at it.

Troy

Back