What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider Canopy "Tip Up" Mod Kit

NewGuy

To everyone who has a slider canopy with a "tip up" mod kit:

Who did you get your mod kit from?

I know of 2 suppliers, "Meske" for $179.00 and "JRW Engineering" for $225.00.

Which one is better?

Which one is easier to install?

I'm ready to order the kit and can't make up my mind.

The fuselage is coming along just fine. It's starting to look like an airplane...

I bought the Meske tipup/slider.
It was easy to install, and works
very well. I don't know anything
good or bad about the JRW kit.
Tom

JRW tip up kit

Bought the JRW kit. It's installed, but I'm not flying yet. Very high quality machining on the parts. Looks like a top quality design. The rod that holds up the canopy when in the "tipped up" position looks pretty straight forward, but like in all the commercially available systems, it seems like it is not a super slick design. Given that, I have no better idea to implement myself.

I'm planning on Classic Aero seat with head rests. The JRW Should work well with this set up...

Terry
RV7A
N457RV Reserved
Finishing Kit
90% done, 90% to go...

I have the Meske. Easy to install, and I haven't had any problems since installed in '05. I haven't done any side by side comparisons of installed systems, but I don't think there's any big differences. The support rod on the Meske is installed on the passenger side, and it looks like the JRW is installed in the middle of the fuse. That's the only thing I can come up with. Other than that, it came down to price.

Made the Decision: Meske

I had a hard time deciding between the two mod kits: the Meske and JRW. I finally called Rich Meske and talked to him. Mr. Meske runs the Aircraft Extras website (http://www.aircraftextras.com/) which sells both the Meske and JRW kits. The JRW has quality parts that are laser cut and look very nice. The Meske kit has lots of history with long term parts in the field. The Meske kit appears to tip up a little higher. Both kits are high quality with just a bit of price difference.

The deciding factor: The JRW kit has the prop in the middle and the Meske has the prop on the side. I figured that the center prop will be in the way while loading stuff in the baggage compartment and that the side prop would stay clear of the cargo. Verticle access to the baggage compartment is what I wanted and the center prop rod interferes with all that open access. Ordered it yesterday.

The Aircraft Extras has some neat RV products- worth a look.

Back