What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider canopy question

morris

I'm New Here
Hi all-

I am working on the slider and I have a question about the size to be drilled in the canopy itself.

the manual say that after countersinking to open up the lexi to 5/32" while the frame only opens up to #30. The rivets called out are AACQ-4-4's which are about .120 which seems pretty small for the 5/32" call out.

Is this correct? Does there really need to be this much clearance? Am I just missing something here?

FYI- DWG32 and and pages 9-11

One more note- I drilled a piece of scrap with a 1/8" plexi bit and then countersunk it with a #30 and the fit is perfect. Why wouldn't this work?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
expansion and contraction

With plexiglas, You get a huge amount of expansion in hot weather and just as much contraction in the cold. You have to allow plenty of room in rivet or screw holes where the plexiglas attaches to the frame else when it contracts in cold, it will split the plixiglas open like a ripe watermelon.

How to fit your canopy......

If you haven't cut your canopy yet........ I talked and researched this part of the project a lot before I fitted my canopy and I must say it came out really nice.

It's important to bend the frame to fit your fuselage first. Then place the frame in the plexiglass to see where it fits the best. Mark lines outside the frame while it sits inside the plexiglass.......this will give you the best fit and enable you to rivet throughout the frame giving you the least amount of tension(plexiglass to frame). It also give you an idea where you make your first cut before you place the canopy on the airframe on top of your fuselage.

If you've looked at many of the canopies at Sun-n-Fun or the other air shows you'll know what I'm talking about.

Good Luck!!! :)

Greg
[email protected]

Back