What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider canopy panel access

JetMech72

I've been reading through some of the pros and cons of slider canopies. The biggest one to me was the restricted access to the back of the instrument panel. Is having a modular panel enough to alleviate this problem? Or would access panels on the top of the fuselage still be necessary? Although I'm still in the pre-build phase (plans only), I am trying to make some of these decisions in my mind in the meantime.

A modular panel will solve much of the problem. Mine is three pieces screwed to the original panel which was extensively cut out.

I'm a true fan of sliders, and would have it no other way.

As usual, some will disagree!

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I have a couple of glass units in my panel. I didn't go modular, and I have a slider. I installed as much as I could with an eye towards ease of access in the future. Ya, I'll be upside down under the panel, but I did it with my other planes when I worked on them. My TT efis and the Dynon D-120 I have both come out from the front and disconnect easily and leave a nice hole in the panel to get at some stuff. Of course, I'm hoping that to avoid work back there as much as possible. ;)

I have a modular panel, easy slide out radios and EFIS/EMS systems, and access panels on the top skin. Those access panels provide the ability to get behind the sub-panel and to the back of the firewall.

Panel Access

I have seen this done before and I am planning to add the access openings to my RV-9 slider.

Jason, could you post some pictures? Maybe include a scale next to the access plates so we can get a handle on the size and placement of the openings.

Thanks

Back