What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider Canopy Modification To Back Half,, Picture provided

rv969wf

Well Known Member
What is it??? Well it's the sliding canopy off my -6 getting ready for paint. I carbon fibered the back section to fit snuggly around the fuselage and it also covers up the aluminum slider and is not seen with the canopy slid shut. It also eliminates the air that is pulled back into the cockpit at the back of the canopy. It is slightly raised at the forward section and contours into the streamline of the fuselage much better. Yep it added a couple of lbs... Speed gain??? Hmmm, yes but very small, but it sure makes flying in the winter much nicer without the air blowing on the back of your neck. When I get the red paint on it and installed I'll post pictures of it completed on my -6. I've flown with it unpainted for about a year with no problems and love the way it looks and fits. I'll also be posting a picture of the pattern that I used that can be duplicated very easily as well. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. AJ

dsc07534nc6.jpg

AJ would like to see more pictures of the side. I don't totally understand how you made it around the slider rail. Thanks.
Shine'r
Sunny, Warm, Pittsburgh, Pa.

Picture of The "Texas Longhorn RV Turtleback"

Shine'r said:
AJ would like to see more pictures of the side. I don't totally understand how you made it around the slider rail. Thanks.
Shine'r
Sunny, Warm, Pittsburgh, Pa.

Here is a picture with the new paint.... This weekend I hope to get it back on the "Lil Red Lady" and finish up the slider / tip up mod. When I get that done I'll post pictures of it installed for the final time, tipped up, slid back and shut. If anyone is wondering why I call this the "Texas Longhorn Turtleback" ????? :) I'll let you know when I get the pictures taken of the pattern that I made this from. Coming soon more pictures!!! I Promise! AJ

dsc07542nq2.jpg

Last edited:
Question

Hi Alan,
WOW! A fine piece of work. Is the West system epoxy resin and hardener compatible with carbon fiber or is there a dedicated resin suggested for carbon?
Thanks,

West system105

pierre smith said:
Hi Alan,
WOW! A fine piece of work. Is the West system epoxy resin and hardener compatible with carbon fiber or is there a dedicated resin suggested for carbon?
Thanks,

Hi Pierre, I use the West system 105. Thanks for the nice comments. AJ

Picutures coming soon ran into problems.

Captain Avgas said:
It looks amazing on the floor. Can we please have pix of it fitted to the plane.

Today had some problems. The paint did not match!!!! :mad:the rest of the airplane... No one to blame,,,guess the mix ratio from the PPG paint shop I bought the paint from was not mixed correctly..... :eek: So now I have to re-paint etc...... :eek: When I get the new paint that is the correct color I will post. More pictures coming after installed. Sorry for the delay, I would have finished pictures posted today but the dang paint problem upset me.... Picky,,,, a little,, but I want it looking the best I can. SOON :D

Answers about slider / canopy mod / glass work

godspeed said:
Would love directions on how you laid that up .. I want one too..

Danny..

Hi Danny and Stephen, When I get the PPG paint color problem fixed on my slider canopy I will install it for the last time and take photos with it shut, open, and tilted foward. I'm looking at maybe another week because I had to special order more paint. :mad: I will be running in the VAF classified the final pictures along with instructions on how to do the lay up of the glass and attaching it to the slider. It's not hard to do as the template that I'm going to sell is the mold that wraps nicely around the fuselage and the layup of glass is directly on it after it's waxed and coated with mold release agent. The layup can be done in an afternoon and then trimed the next day. I'll keep everyone posted when the final pictures are in the classified. Thanks AJ

OK OK OK ... here are pictures on the plane.

Captain Avgas said:
It looks amazing on the floor. Can we please have pix of it fitted to the plane.

I was going to take pictures after the correct color/shade of paint matched,,, but here are pictures installed on my -6. Notice the slider rail is invisible and not seen. :) :cool: I do not have the tip up Mod completed so I can't post pictures with it raised up / tilted to show the inside yet. Coming SOON! BTW my digital camera battery went dead and I didn't get a picture with it slid back and it was getting dark. Tomarrow I'll try to get pictures of it slid back. Reason for the the teardrop pattern on the acrylic canopy is my own design to blend in the curves of the airplane and something different, this has nothing to do with the design or attachment of the turtle back to the slider.

dsc07552ih1.jpg

dsc07554rk7.jpg

dsc07555hl5.jpg

dsc07557za8.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures

godspeed said:
I love it.. very smooth looking.. will the template work on a 9a fuse ?

Danny..
Hi to everyone interested in one of these. Yes it will work on a -6,-7, -9 slider. I'm still trying to find a source for the acetate hard plastic for the mold / pattern. My supplier does not carry what I need anymore and I'm looking for new sources. Don't give up, I'll keep everyone that is interested posted. AJ

dsc07580zw5.jpg

dsc07581cu9.jpg

dsc07582rc2.jpg

dsc07583rk0.jpg

Last edited:
Back