What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider canopy brace Q

flydjd

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I have just spent 3 hours forlornly looking for an answer but am wasting precious building time so here goes.....

From Dwg's 24, 41 & 42 it appears that the fwd end plate of the WD-643-22 canopy brace fits between the port side of the F-7108A fuselage rib and the F-7108B angle BUT this would result in the F-7108B angle sitting proud of the rib.....

Are you expected to remove material from the back of the angle so that it sits flush ? I cannot find any reference to this in the instructions (unless it comes later under canopy fitting)

Help please

The answer is on Drawing #24

Hi David,

Yes, it is a little strange the way Van's does this one. But if you look on drawing 24 (lower half, just right of center) you'll see a callout to install a washer between the angle and rib for that rivet on the angle nearest the brace tube.
This washer will sort of start the "bow" that the angle needs to go around the brace. It works fine.

Mark

Last edited:
With not-so-delicate but lots of finesse mallet work, you can joggle the angle to form an even 1/16 gap parallel with the rib web. Same technique as forming the fuse longerons. The washer approach causes the end of the angle to stick out, a rather crude outcome that puts a lot of stress on the fasteners, and when drawn into position means the through holes are no longer axial.

John Siebold

Thanks Mark and John

Mark Burns said:
Hi David,

Yes, it is a little strange the way Van's does this one. But if you look on drawing 24 (lower half, just right of center) you'll see a callout to install a washer between the angle and rib for that rivet on the angle nearest the brace tube.
This washer will sort of start the "bow" that the angle needs to go around the brace. It works fine.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Got it :D .....and there was me thinking that after a few years of staring at the plans I was able to spot this type of thing :eek:

John,
Thanks for your input....I can live with the Vans solution as I won't see the "sticky out end" when everything is all covered by the top deck skin and I will re-do the angle of the 3/16 reamed holes after riveting the angle on...

Mark Burns said:
Hi David,

Mark
Good call, Mark. I had missed that before but had left that one hole open because I wanted to fashion a shim for it. Turns out the washer was already on the plans. Mine seems to like 2 of those very thin washers though, not 1 as the plans indicate.

Guilty

I missed the washer the "first time" through. Decided to redo the angle to redrill with the washer installed. It seems to be an area prone for mistakes.

Jekyll

Back