What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider Anchor Blocks

Brambo

Well Known Member
I'm making good progress on my slider canopy (so far no cracks), and started looking ahead at the anchor blocks. When I put the brackets in place over the longeron as per the plans, the probe(?) from the canopy frame points inward so much that it actually hits the inside of the bracket. The right side is worse than the left, but they both seem to point inward more than they should. Has anyone else had this problem, and is there any reason I can't just gently bend them out slightly for a better fit? Of course, my main concern is the possibility of braking one off.

Those pins are angled for a reason - to put the canopy under a slight load when it is closed so it doesn't rattle around.

Your best bet is to slightly reposition the anchor blocks if possible.

As I recall, I bent my out a little, but I think I bent out the whole bracket not just the probes.

I'm making good progress on my slider canopy (so far no cracks), and started looking ahead at the anchor blocks. When I put the brackets in place over the longeron as per the plans, the probe(?) from the canopy frame points inward so much that it actually hits the inside of the bracket. The right side is worse than the left, but they both seem to point inward more than they should. Has anyone else had this problem, and is there any reason I can't just gently bend them out slightly for a better fit? Of course, my main concern is the possibility of braking one off.

Round tube frame but ...

I have an RV-6A slider but the frame is welded up from tubular components so the structure on your plane is probably different but the conformance problems are probably similar. Study it very carefully and don't commit to something you have doubts about blindly. My frame had to be bent small amounts in several places and the manual discussed this. After a lot of study I did the bending that was necessary. I also had to make a lot of custum shims to fit the canopy to the frame without putting it under stress at assembly. Always call the factory if in doubt.

Bob Axsom

You will bent the points slightly to establish the correct angle down and toe-in if you will for a good tight fit.

Back