What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider aft skin reinforcement rib

Coling955

I'm not clear on how the F-6111 reinforcement ribs meet the F-706 bulkhead and longerons. Has anyone got a photo they can post or a quick description of the trimming that's required and how it meets the bulkhead?
Bound to be simple but I can't tell from the plans. Many thanks.

I tried to find a photo, but came up empty. The ribs don't tie into the bulkhead or the longeron... they are trimmed to be just clear of both. Just riveted to the skin.

If you squint you might be able to see it in the photo below. There is no connection at either end. The rib rides just above the longeron and almost touches the baggage bulkhead.

The procedure I used, given to me by a local builder, was as follows:
Draw a centerline along the flange on the rib through which the rivets will go.
Using a piece of 1/16" thick aluminum or similar as a shim on the longeron below the bottom end of the rib so the rib won't touch the longeron, force the rib into place inside the skin.
Line up the centerline through the bottom pre-punched hole in the skin, then drill and cleco.
Repeat the process as you work your way up the rib, lining up the centerline through the holes, then drilling and clecoing.
You will have to twist the rib as you go, and you may have to trim the top end a bit, but don't do so until you have worked your way to the top.
Holding the ribs in my hand it looked like there was no way they would fit, but in the end they fit well.

Good luck!

850911531_xmbWQ-X2.jpg

F-6111 ribs

These ribs do not attach to the longeron, in fact if you are going to install any type of tonneau cover over your baggage area, leave enough space to do that. They DO attach with one rivet to F-7112 & F-705 at the top though. See top of page 8-12 in the manual and dwg #28, upper right.

F-6111 ribs

Yes, it is riveted to F-706, but the text on page 8-12 in my manual says F-705......Van's typo.:confused: Carry on...

Back