What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL40 Frequency Disappointment

todehnal

Well Known Member
Flew our SL40 equipped RV-12 up to Mount Vernon ILL for the Sport Pilot Expo yesterday. Tried to listen to their AWOS about 25 miles out to get winds, and baro. The AWOS freq is 113.8. My SL40 only goes down to 118.00. Yeah, I know, it's a VOR receive only freq. So, did I buy the wrong com radio?? I really didn't see the need for an SL30, with a very capable Skyview. So, is there any reasonable approach to being able to receive VOR audio?? I really like to listen to the local AWOS before approaching an airport.

Tom

1. Call on CTAF, see if any aircraft in the pattern will relay info to you.
2. Circle overhead, look at the windsock.
3. Some AWOS units can be accessed via cell phone. Technically illegal, but call it up from the air.

It wasn't that long ago that AWOS at uncontrolled airports just didn't exist. I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you really want it, as Mike said, get a handheld with VOR frequencies.

Thanks for the responses guys. I like Mike's suggestion of the handheld. I had an Icom A24, and let it go with the Cub that I sold. Should have kept it. I think I will pick up another one. Great little radio. As far as cell phones, I do use the AWOS phone access during last minute flight planning, and it works great. Asking other pilots is another great idea. It was pretty busy on Thursday morning at the convention. I'm sure that someone would have passed on the info. I did get AWOS info from a nearby airport, so winds, and baro were not a big deal, but my concern was special landing pattern due to the convention, where lots of demo flights were in progress. This was the first time that I have encountered a VOR frequency for AWOS, and I was shocked when I couldn't dial it in. Live and learn..............Tom

The Sporty's radio that Mike suggested will probably be more fun than the Icom. It will even show ILS and Glideslope right on the LCD screen.
Don't know if you are IFR rated, but it might have value either way.
For good SA, listen on the unicom as suggested.... if no one is around, then it will be quite safe to look at the wind sock. Their reliability far exceeds the electronic versions.

Long term solution but you might contact the airport manager and request that they switch to a dedicated AWOS frequency that does not transmit over the VOR frequency. Using the VOR frequency is a bit of a throwback to an earlier era.

I Believe KMVN has METAR reporting

If you don't have XM weather thru your Skyview, you should think about getting it. It should give you not only full weather radar coverage, but also the ability to pick up METARS from ANY distance. If you're not familiar with the capabilities, you can even ask anyone with a portable Garmin to give you a demo.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Terry, I do have ADS-B in and out, which gives me weather, and traffic on my Skyview including METARS. I just have a habit of tuning to the AWOS, and catching last minute info. Using the VOR freq for AWOS was a surprise that I don't ever recall running into. I think it is rare, but I am curious of how many VOR freq AWOS systems are out there.....Tom

An airport manager can't change the frequency . It often takes the FAA years to approve a frequency.

Hi Tom... First off, It was a pleasure to meet you and your lovely spouse at MVN. I enjoyed our chat. Second, it's not unusual in IL for AWOS or ASOS info to be on a nav frequency. That was one of the reasons I opted for an SL-30, since I had learned of the nav frequency situation while flying club planes during my build.
Also, most of the time I've seen special arrangements for RW use at events like the Midwest Expo, they are listed in the NOTAMS. But I have, on occasion, loitered a few miles away from an airport monitoring the frequency to be sure what the "active" is.

Back