What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL30 / SL40 Question for Matt Burch

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Yo Matt (if you see this),

My decade old SL30 nav/comm gave up the ghost. My friend has a SL40 out of a wreck he bought that he will let me use for a few months. Is there any chance that I can just slide this in and have the radio work?

These are the UPSAT units, btw.

Don't need the VOR until after LOE....just need a comm so I don't have to fly nordo to the event.

b,
d

Yah, what he said. I think the connector should work, especially if you don't have the RS-232 lines connected. Not sure about the mechanical mounting, but could be worth a try. Keep in mind I'm just some guy who only sees these radios about twice a year at airshows. :)

mcb

Should be no problem here. I have an SL30 and SL40. They both use the same common tray and radio frame casting.

At the back end of the common tray are locations for the com side wiring (15 pin D-shell) and a separate connector for the nav side wiring (37 pin D-shell). The com connector wiring for both the SL30 / 40 is identical.

The SL30 chassis has the additional nav connector sticking out the back. If you are going to plug this into an SL40 tray, just be sure the SL40 tray has a free and clear opening where the mating connector would have been.

If you are plugging a SL40 com into a SL30 Tray, just be sure the Nav D shell will not contact anything (that should not be there) on the chassis / tray.

The last item to look at will be to be sure the NAV antenna connection (free floating Coax connector) will not contact any "blanking" plate that may be installed.

All that said, it should plug right in and power up...

Back