What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL-40 Intercom

NASA515

Well Known Member
After 130 hrs with the FlightCom 403 Intercom, I've decided it's pretty much unable to handle my intercom needs. There are two solutions: Going with the new Garmin radio with its built-in Intercom, or getting the new Dynon radio and Intercom After studying the new Garmin radio, that might be my best choice going forward, but I sort of dread yet another reworking of everything behind the panel.

A Third option is out there - the SL-40 has a built-in Intercom, currently unused in the RV-12. Reports from others have dismissed the SL-40 Intercom as "poor." Well, so is the FlightCom intercom!

Has anyone used the SL-40 Intercom in their -12? If so, how was it? And how would you go about activating it and bypassing the 403?

Bob Bogash
N737G

What do you need that the 403 won't do Bob? I've read before that it's not the greatest intercom around, but what's the problem with it?

I have used neither, but some have said the SL30 intercom is much better, you could upgrade to that.

What do you need that the 403 won't do Bob? I've read before that it's not the greatest intercom around, but what's the problem with it?

It's almost impossible to adjust. The Squelch break knob has about 270 degrees of travel, but the "sweet spot" is more like 4 or 5 degrees - or even just a "point." It's more like an Off/On switch than an analog control. Getting that sweet spot is difficult, so I can't hear my passenger (and vice versa) without a lot of fiddling, and usually only reach success (?) by reducing the squelch break to the point where my passenger's voice is picked up ALONG With a lot of ambient noise.

I spend quite a bit of time fiddling with it to get it "right" before engine start, talking back and forth with my passenger. As soon as I start the engine, the setting is wrong - so I do it again before take-off. As soon as I'm off the ground, I have to do it again. The problem is, doing it in flight can be very difficult - making delicate little twitches on the knob to achieve just a micro aadjustment. Especially if the air is rough.

If I don't get it right - they can't hear me, or I can't hear them, or I get a big blast of engine noise or air vent noise, etc. I've tried this with an assortment of headsets - same make and model on both sides, different models, etc - no improvement.

That's it in a nutshell. It's a very "inexpensive" unit - some might call it "cheap."

Bob Bogash
N737G

Might be easier to replace it with a PM500EX for $300. I've been thinking about that... Should be easy to map the wires. Easier than moving things to the radio...

Thanks. The Cessnas I have flown all seem to have the 403 and I don't often fly with a passenger, so I've had nothing to compare with. I assumed all the tweaking I usually have to do to keep it adjusted right was normal.

Dynon Radio and Intercom

Bob, I see in your post that you are considering the Dynon radio and intercom.

I am in the middle of changing from analog to Skyview plus GTN650 in my RV6. I have gone with the Dynon radio as the second radio, using the Dynon intercom plus a couple of switches in lieu of an audio panel. Hoping that will work and that the Dynon Intercom will be a good one.

Wondering about your thoughts on the feature set of the Skyview and Dynon radio working together - tuning by airport designator with dedicated buttons, real time updating of nearest airports, etc.

Its a different approach but I found it compelling enough to go that way.

I wonder if it might be your particular 403. I have one in both my Cessna 150 and Rans S6. They both work great with minimal adjustment needed.

Jim

"I wonder if it might be your particular 403. I have one in both my Cessna 150 and Rans S6. They both work great with minimal adjustment needed."

Could be - might have a "lemon" and am damning the whole flock. But, I've read others have similar problems. At some point, you wonder how many tests and trials you can go through.

----------------------------------------------------

"Wondering about your thoughts on the feature set of the Skyview and Dynon radio working together - tuning by airport designator with dedicated buttons, real time updating of nearest airports, etc.

Its a different approach but I found it compelling enough to go that way."

I have no experience with the Dynon radio, but I AM a BIG fan of the Dynon Skyview feature set. I love the designated buttons (as opposed to touch screens), and I tune my Garmin SL-40 via the Skyview screen almost 100%.

I believe Vans and Dynon have had a certain amount of recent "falling out of love." That's very unfortunate - Dynon is the consummate supplier for home-builders and Experimental airplanes. Anything that damages Dynon will also ultimately damage every one of the owner/operators of the current in-build or flying fleet.

How the radio works with Skyview, I can't say directly, but I do think you will not be disappointed. Dynon's support is beyond fantastic. They have done things for me that make my eyes pop out - I haven't posted direct examples only because I don't want them to get flooded with similar requests. But, if you have a problem, they are there. I am sure you will not regret your decision.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Just curious

I have had ours "set" for a year and a half now and only adjust the volume if needed. Just curious as to why fiddle with it so much. Sometimes the simplest explanation is well, ask the operator, not the machine. It's easier to adjust the headset mic closer to the mouth than readjust sqlch. I'm sure there are better intercoms than the 403, but I've had no problems with it.

Last edited:
The SL-30 and SL-40 do have an intercom function. It is enabled by pulling a specific pin low (grounding) located within the D-shell connector interface. The volume of the intercom can then be set to follow the function of the volume control knob or be preset to a programmed level. The intercom function is also what gives you a sidetone if you are not using a dedicated intercom/audio panel.

I have had ours "set" for a year and a half now and only adjust the volume if needed. Just curious as to why fiddle with it so much. Sometimes the simplest explanation is well, ask the operator, not the machine. It's easier to adjust the headset mic closer to the mouth than readjust sqlch. I'm sure there are better intercoms than the 403, but I've had no problems with it.

Ditto for me, Bob. I never had a problem with the intercom although I usually fly with companions. I may have been lucky and got all the adjustments at the sweet spot upfront. If you feel you exhausted all possibilities of adjustment, just try to swap with another unit. Now if you are just trying to find an excuse to buy a new radio, that's another story! :p

Don't like mine either

Could be - might have a "lemon" and am damning the whole flock. But, I've read others have similar problems. At some point, you wonder how many tests and trials you can go through.
I had one in my RV-6, and I have one in the -12. I was/am not fond of either of them. The squelch is finicky, and it has a habit of making some kind of echo-ey reverb-ish scratchy sound that I find to be highly irritating. I thought the one in the -6 might be old and not representative of the newer ones, but I was wrong.

Now that I think about it, I have flown as a passenger in two RV12's, and there was never a touch of the intercom controls during either flight, and the intercom worked quite well.

Try the settings in post #3. Works good in my 6A for 13 yrs.
Might have to fine tune for your 12.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=60483&highlight=intercom+settings

Thanks for the thread and info, Rich. I'll give it a try.

I knew there were TWO adjustment sub-menu's - one buried a little deeper. I've used both before. I have no complaints with the SL-40 and thought maybe its Intercom features were undeservingly maligned. Maybe with more playing around with the menu settings, it's Intercom would be quite acceptable.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Back