What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL-30 to MD-200-306 CDI

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
Havent looked at the install manuals yet, but is this pretty straight forward to connect these two units and install into the plane?

I assume I would just look at the wiring diagrams and match the pin outs/ins?

Does anyone who has done this install have any tips or tidbits to offer?

thanks much

Well ...

It is a good idea to draw a wiring diagram before starting the actual wiring. I went through this last year. The SL-30 installation manual clearly shows the interface wiring between the SL-30 and the MD-200-306. I had no surprises with that interface in operation after hooking it up according to the diagram.

Bob Axsom

more..

I guess my biggest concern is making sure shielding and grounds are done correctly. Anyone have any tips on how to do it properly?

I am by no means an expert but this was shared with me as I performed this very installation two months ago. I don't show it in the first picture but I crimped on a 'eye' (round) terminal connector to the black shield wire so I could attach the wire to the back of the radio with a screw;

twisted_pair.jpg

SL30_Shield.jpg

I hope this helps :D Rosie

more..

the shield needs to be grounded only on the radio side of the installation correct? i do not need to ground it on the other end?

what gage wire do you like to use for these shielded as well as the power and normal ground? If i recall the crimp connectors can use 2 gages like 22 and 24 if i recall correctly.

thanks this info you provided helps refresh me alot.

Stick with the larger of the two gauge wires. I recommend staying away from 24 gauge wire if you can.

The SL30 will need to have the resolvers calibrated in the CDI after it is installed. See the manual for the instructions after the units are installed.

There is a WIRING DIAGRAM available for the SL30 and CDI. The manual also has the pin outs.

more..

ok good i believe i only have the 22 gage wire. this will be fine for the signal wires.
I think this is the smallest they recommend however for the power and ground
for the SL30 radio. Does anyone recommend going with a slightly larger gage for the 14V power?

I have the less expensive crimper, but noticed it only crimps normal D sub connectors and not the high density.

Are any of the Garmin 430W , SL30 of CDI's using the high density pins?
If my memory serves me the high density connectors are 3 rows of pins?
so the answer would be NO no high density pins for me to crimp?

by the way, i bought everything new from Stein. and can order whatever else i need that you guys recommend.

The ACU used with the Apollo series of Radios used HI Density connectors. It was 9-years ago that I wired my stuff up. I do not remember hi-density connectors anywhere else.

DO NOT use a wire larger than what the contact was designed to connect. I recommend following the manufacturers recommendations or AC 43.13 so that there is not more than 1 Volt drop on the wire between the source and the unit for the MAX current that it will draw.

Back