What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sl-30 installation

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents
I'm in the process of installing my new SL-30 ( replacing an SL-40 ) and I'm in a jam..:eek:

My radios are mounted in a console between my legs (RV-4 ) and when I put the radio in its tray while it is outside of the aircraft, the radio slids in fairly easily ( A little harder at the end) and it goes all the way to the bottom of the tray.
My problem is that after installing the tray in the console and I try installing the radio, it slid in but stop with about 1/4 inch left to go and the connectors don't engage fully and it become impossible to go any futher.I don't want to damage the lockkey again ( A trip to Garmin was expensive enough ) There is nothing interfering with it as far as I can see...

Could it be that the tray is bend or something..

Any ideas???

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Possible the tray is being bent.
Also possible one of the screw heads you used to secure the tray is not flush enough and is interfering with the radio during that last 1/4".
Also the front panel overhangs the tray. Is there enough space around the tray at the front, or is the front panel hanging up on an adjacent radio?
Other...?

Also the front panel overhangs the tray. Is there enough space around the tray at the front, or is the front panel hanging up on an adjacent radio?
Other...?

This particular snake bit me when I was first doing my panel-----take a good look at the front bezel of the radio-----it needs clearance on all four sides.

SL-30 Installation

Hi Mike and Bob

I've tried it again outside of the console and eventough it is a little stiff at the end when screw in, it still goes to the bottom of the tray..

I've removed the screws and tinnerman anchor nuts ( I believe that's what they are called ) and will try using pop rivets to hold the tray in place, I might get a better clearance this way..

If it doesn't work, I will order a new tray ( I might still order one nevertheless..)

Thanks for your advises, really appreciated...

Can't wait to start flying again, it was 26 Celsius ( About 80 F ) here yesterday...Real hot for us ..

Cheers

Bruno

SL-30 INSTALLATION

Mike and Bob

Finally installed my radio...I had to pull it out about a 1/4'' but it is now slidding all the way to the bottom of the tray..

I think the edge of the console may have interfer a little but I played enough with this radio to last me until my next down time...

It isn't perfectly flush with the other radio ( barely noticeable )but it will be finalise later on..

Now to get this baby back in the air asap..

Thanks again Gents for your feedbacks..

Cheers

Bruno

Back