What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL-30 Com Failure

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

I have a SL-30 in my RV-4 and I 've been getting intermittent Com Failure messages on start up and was wondering if anyone of you ever had a message like that and what was the reason behind it.

I bending toward a wiring issue or the antenna but after a few minutes it comes back and work normally
So if anyone have any suggestions short of sending it back to Garmin (I don't need another mortgage ) I would appreciate it

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Interesting, my 430 com just started doing the same thing. Working fine then not and a message pops up "service com". then it works again until this happens again. Might be the same type of failure or not but I plan to check all the connections tomorrow and see what happens.

I had a similar problem. I took it to a local radio shop and they could not repeat the failure. I finally bought some DeoxIT D100 and sprayed it on the connectors on the radio and in the tray. The problem went away. BTW the D100 fixed my radio on my 1995 BMW M3 and the brake light failure I was getting. It also fixed the washing machine, and Volvo HID headlight problem.

The D100 cleans and protects the connectors/contacts.

FWIW. TJ

SL-30

TJ, I didn't think about cleaning the connectors today after I reset the radio back in the tray but will do it tomorrow..

It started doing that last week when I was troubleshooting a noise issue with my intercom.
I moved the cabling around quite a bit while working on that problem so I may have loosen a few connections..

Today after I posted this, I tried numerous times and initially I still had the message ''Com Failure'' then it went away..

I going flying tomorrow morning and it wouldn't surprise me if it is still there..I hope not but....

Will report back the findings..

Thanks for the imputs Gents

Bruno

SL-30

Well I've flown the a/c twice since the last occurence and it didn't came back...

Sure is weird but I'll get the radio checked nevertheless so it doesn't quit on me while on the road..

I hate these kind of snags....:rolleyes:

Will reports any findings

Bruno

If the contact cleaner doesnt take care of the issue, start looking at heat buildup in the unit------your symptoms sound a lot like heat related issues.

Found a loose RG400 connector at the antenna. Re secured it and took it for a test flight and all is well so far. I plan to do additional longer flights soon to confirm this is the issue or not.

SL-30

Hi Mike

I've cleaned the contacts and it hasn't reoccured yet (Fingers crossed )since last flight and I played with it in the hangar since and so far so good.

I also have an avionics fan installed for the radios so it should reduce the risk of heat.

'' a loose RG400 connector'' I've checked for that at the antenna but not at the radio yet...next chance I get I will..

Thanks

Bruno

Back