What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL 30 2 powers comm & nav

Bernard VDS

I'm New Here
Hi the comunity
I am new on the forum, i have read a lot of concern on the forum but this time i have a question.
On the sl30 There are 2 powers comm and nav. My idea was to place the comm Power on Ebus and nav power on avionic bus. When on Ebus with only power on comm It does not work the sl30 stays off. When on avionic bus with power on comm+nav it is ok. When i disconnect the power on comm while power on nav stays on, the sl30 shows "comm failure", does that mean that the comm neads also the nav power to works ?

Thanks for your help
Bernard

does that mean that the comm neads also the nav power to works ?

Bernard

The Garmin manual states the all power feeds for their radios (not just the SL30) should be on the same bus.

You can install a switch to connect to the ebus for backup purposes.

bob

Power Draw

The SL30 manual states the current draw is about 325mA typical for the NAV receiver. That's pretty low... remember, it's only in receive mode. Four and a half watts is not much power consumption. In comparison, I think the comm radio in transmit mode is about 28 watts.

Power the whole thing on the ebus, and if you have concerns in a power emergency, turn the whole thing off with the power switch and only on when you need it.

Don

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hi the community, I am new on the forum--------
Bernard

Bernard, welcome to VAF, good to see you here.

I just happen to have a new SL 30 sitting next to me right now, I had Steinair wire it and the audio panel for me. They included a schematic, and it shows the two power wires ganged to a single 7.5A breaker.

Way I figure it, if Stein does it that way, should be good for anyone :D

Again, welcome.

Hello guys
Tanks for your replys and welcome I think that i am looking for complicity where It is not necessary. The most consumption is not on the nav and i will put the 2 on one bus. It is a pleasure to have so quick support and response
Rgds Bernard

Back