What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Xponder check ?

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
Called a reputable avionics shop to have the VFR XPONDER check completed. Told me they need access to the ADAHRS and pitot static connection. The static and ADARHS is behind the baggage bulkhead. Is this standard procedure for every check? Fly to shop, pull tank and baggage bulkhead access cover? Hmmmmmmm

Anyone have any experience with this? Skyview system. Pitot static checked ok on PAP tests.

When checking my transponder, the technician asked if I flew IFR. I said no. All he did was connect an alligator clip to the transponder antenna.
Joe Gores

I get an ifr certification, but my guy just attaches his equipment to my pitot tube and static ports with a suction cup, tapes over drain holes, etc.

If he wants to open up a connection how will he test for leaks when he closes it back up?

No way Jose!

Yep! What you want is a VFR chk only. This is very simple for the Avionics shop to do and shouldn't take more than a couple hours to do it. It cost around $100.00 in our area to do. If the shop can't do it without accessing your AHARS then go some where else.;)

Called the shop back. Spoke with another tech who was familiar with skyview. He said it will be a simple test using the static ports and pitot tube. Problem solved.

VFR

They still should not have to access that for a VFR check. Every time I do one they put the measurement equipment in front of the plane, tells me it works and signs the logbook. I still think he is try to do an altimeter calibration.
Also, make sure you input your code for the N number into the Skyview or the transponder will not work.

Dynon Pitot Static Check

There are specific procedures for doing a Pitot/Static check on the Dynon systems. This would only be required if it is going to be IFR certified and not a basic VFR transponder check.

If you take it to a shop for a Pitot/Static check bring the Dynon guide with you for them to follow.

You can go the the following link and download this or read the cut and paste from the Dynon website.

http://dynonavionics.com/downloads/Install_Guides/Dynon_Pitot_Static_Test_White_Paper-Rev_B.pdf

Dynon Pitot/Static Test Background

Dynon ADAHRS/EFIS units use airspeed (or GPS ground speed when airspeed is unavailable) in the calculation of attitude. The internal rate sensors that are used to determine attitude are monitored and calibrated in-flight by using feedback from the accelerometers and from airspeed to achieve a highly accurate attitude solution.

When a pitot or static test is performed, the ADAHRS/EFIS is being exposed to dynamics that are impossible to achieve in a real aircraft flight environment ? namely, there are large airspeed changes without the accompanying accelerations and rotations. This false condition will cause a well-calibrated unit to incorrectly adjust its calibration. Furthermore, when a unit is in a test situation a change in applied pitot or static pressure will cause the attitude to pitch up or down. This is expected.

Performing the Dynon prescribed pitot and static test procedure to a Dynon ADAHRS or EFIS will prevent problems with the unit?s performance in flight.
Dynon Pitot / Static Test Instructions

Basic Principles
 Ensure unit is warmed up during each test reading.
 Unit should be powered off when changing pressures.
 Keep aircraft still (do not move) when pressure is applied.

Steps
1. The aircraft itself should be temperature stable. For example, if the aircraft is moved from outside in the sun to a hangar for testing, tests should not be started until the airplane has stabilized at the hangar temperature.

2. Turn EFIS on and let it warm up until the altitude reading is stabilized. This period should be at least 5 minutes, but may take longer depending on environmental conditions.

3. Turn EFIS off.

4. While the EFIS is off, apply the pressure required by your test to pitot and/or static port via your test equipment.

5. Turn on EFIS (external or internal battery power is acceptable). Keep aircraft still while EFIS is powered on. Do not adjust the pitot or static pressures being applied to the EFIS/ADAHRS while it is powered on.

6. Verify airspeed and/or altitude reading.

7. Turn EFIS off (using button 1 is a good option for this operation ).

8. Repeat steps 4-7 for each required pressure point in the test.

Hope this helps in you check.

Brian

Back