What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview with Garmin 695 or 795 backup

alexe

Well Known Member
Hi,

I need some advice regarding my future panel layout. I'm in the early stages of my -12 ELSA build, but trying to look ahead a bit. I realize that I cannot change anything until after sign off, but I would like to add either a Garmin 695 or 795 as a nav backup for the SV in the future.

I really don't want to use an external mounting; my desire to make it look somewhat "built in" and part of the panel. My preference would be to panel mount the Garmin using a AirGizmo mount or something similar. Where I'm having an issue is visualizing how I could squeeze it into the panel without completely sacrificing the glove compartment. Has anyone in the group done something like this? If so, I would really appreciate some info and a picture of your panel.

Thanks, Alex

Sacrifice it. For the original avionics folks, if you got the right side display a little tray below the panel was provided for the owners manual. Also see this thread for some neat storage! http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=76997

Or, maybe you could have a tall, narrow glove compartment to the right of the 795?

WOW! 758+ kits sold based on your serial number!!!

A great combination...

Not a -12 but I have been flying with both for more than 700 hours and find the combination Outstanding!

7oki.jpg

Bill_H,
Thanks for the input. A narrow compartment for charts, etc might be a good way to go. I also like the idea of the box behind the seats for other items. Perhaps I can fab something similar to that from aluminum. By the way, I got the empenage kit in May, so there are probably a lot more -12 kits out there by now.
Alex

If you get the interior, Abby at Flightline can provide you a pocket that goes on the upward-sloping aluminum under the center of the panel. I keep a couple of backup charts there and stick-on plastic sunscreens. But you WILL want the Koger sunshade.

Back