What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview oil pressure sampling rate?

alexe

Well Known Member
Does any one know the oil pressure sampling rate on the Dynon Skyview? In other words, how many times per second is the oil pressure transducer output sampled and the display updated with the new value?

Alex

Basically all of our data is sampled and displayed at 16Hz. Internally the sample rates are higher, but that higher sample rate us used for filtering and averaging.

On top of this, the sensor config file defines how to filter that 16Hz data, so generally you'll have about 1Hz response rate to 90% of the step change value. These filters are here to make the display on SkyView less "noisy." You can turn this filtering off in the sensor config if you need to.

Give us some more details on what you're trying to do and we can help more.

Thank you to Dynon Support for the prompt response. Regarding your question, it's a long story so plese bear with me. I'll try to make it brief.

I have been flying my -12 E-LSA since May of this year. Since day one, I had noticed that my oil pressure had significant fluctuations, but only after the oil had warmed up to operating temperature. Because I had some unrelated teething problems with the Skyview (a defective SSD), I decided to add a backup mechanical oil pressure gauge (in parallel) in case the Dynon were to fail while I was on a x-country trip. I wanted at least some insight into what the engine was doing in the potential absence of Skyview.

The installation of the mechanical gauge confirmed my jittering oil pressure issue. It was so bad that it was impossible to read the gauge with any accuracy. After doing some research on the issue, I discovered that Rotax has a replacement for the steel ball in the oil pressure relief valve that was supposed to address this "known" issue. It is a "mushroom valve", that has a stem which helps seat the valve properly and eliminate the bouncing oil pressure. I installed it, and sure enough, the problem was immediately resolved.

That lasted about 20 hours, but the problem came back just as bad as before. Today, I pulled the mushroom valve out of the regulator only to find it was badly galled on the stem. Obviously, it had beating itself to death from the constant chattering. I now have Wayne at Southland Rotax involved to try to get answers from the Rotax mother ship.

Your answer to my question explains why I do not see the Dynon dispay the same extreme fluctuations as the mechanical gauge. In essence, it averages out the large swings.

Wish me luck with the Rotax folks trying to resolve this one. Any ideas are more than welcome! Thanks again for the quick answer.

Alex

Last edited:
Back