What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Help!

Ausmo

Hi Skyview gurus!

I am currently in Section 29 Upper Fuse, about to start work on the installation of the instrument panel. I have a pre-Skyview kit and am yet to order the avionics.

First question, are the panel parts supplied with my kit comparable with Skyview or are different panel parts provided with the Skview kit?

Second question, Section 31, Fuse Wiring Harness is just around the corner. Can I safely proceed with this with the parts supplied, or is it Skyview time?

Thanks in anticipation,

Erik

New panel parts are supplied in the SkyView kit - though you may need to specify that you have a pre-Skyview kit these days. Current kits will ship with the updated panel parts I expect.
Most of the fuse wiring is still the same, and Vans supplies harness adaptors for Skyview. It's manageable, but having done the conversion recently, I would prefer to order comlete Skyview harnesses - it would be much simpler.

Eric,
If you haven't done any wiring yet, get the full Skyview avionics. I've also got the conversion kit and in hindsight would have happily sacrificed my D180 harnesses to simplify the installation. Not criticising the conversion kit - Vans did an excellent job, but the native Skyview kit will be a much cleaner installation.

See this thread for a blow-by-blow of the Skyview Conversion installation for those of is that had completed the original fuselage wiring harness. Not that bad but if you have done no wiring yet I would also recommend getting the latest harnesses. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82782 Also, you will get new LEFT and CENTER panel pieces with the avionics. That means you have to reuse the RIGHT one with the cutouts for the ELT and intercom. Now you may want to mount those two things above the Skyview display instead and have nothing on the right hand panel but the glovebox (I did). To do that, you order a different replacement right piece from vans and cut new holes in your new LEFT panel piece, not difficult at all. All shown in the thread above.

Last edited:
The only wiring I have done to date is to run wire in the wings for the lighting and stall warning, no connections are yet made. That was some 18 months ago!

Thanks for the advice folks, it looks likethe best plan is to dig deep and order the Skyview. Perhaps I should imagine it as a belated Christmas gift.............

:eek:

Erik

Back