What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView Display Circuit Board Replacement Service Bulletin 021113

PilotBrent

Well Known Member

An investigation revealed a manufacturing process deviation at a subcontractor which can cause a weakness in a printed circuit board that fulfills a critical role in a SkyView Display. Over time, this weakness can turn into a defect and manifest itself in behavior including: a display that does not power on, a display that powers on, but does not fully boot, or one that freezes during operation. Affected displays should be returned for repair.

To address this issue, Dynon Avionics has released a Technical Service Bulletin that instructs customers to determine if their equipment is affected. Returned displays will have the affected circuit board replaced. All other hardware will be updated as necessary and the display will be tested to ensure factory-new functionality.

For full information about this bulletin, please visit the following page: SkyView Display Circuit Board Replacement Service Bulletin 021113

I got one of the last D180 units before the shift to Skyview. At the time I really wanted the latest, but there is a lot to be said for mature technology.

When you read the details of what they found, why, and then how they are handling it, I have a great feeling about my avionics coming from Dynon. Class act, truly. I'll be checking my display tomorrow. You should hear a friend of mine RV-8 builder discuss his frustrating dealings with Garmin on their glass panel.

Last edited:
When you read the details of what they found, why, and then how they are handling it, I have a great feeling about my avionics coming from Dynon. Class act, truly. I'll be checking my display tomorrow. You should hear a friend of mine RV-8 builder discuss his frustrating dealings with Garmin on their glass panel.

Absolutely, lets hear it. If you are going to compare, lets get the real facts out here on the table....

Last edited:
Link to the bulletin: http://dynonavionics.com/docs/support_bulletin_021113.html

The story:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...0S1jsLHgc1noA4PZj_H28ne8d0tO-vJV8DZRGqDCOraM=

An investigation revealed a manufacturing process deviation at a subcontractor which can cause a weakness in a printed circuit board that fulfills a critical role in a SkyView Display. Over time, this weakness can turn into a defect and manifest itself in behavior including: a display that does not power on, a display that powers on, but does not fully boot, or one that freezes during operation. Affected displays should be returned for repair.

To address this issue, Dynon Avionics has released a Technical Service Bulletin that instructs customers to determine if their equipment is affected. Returned displays will have the affected circuit board replaced. All other hardware will be updated as necessary and the display will be tested to ensure factory-new functionality.

For full information about this bulletin, please visit the following page: SkyView Display Circuit Board Replacement Service Bulletin 021113

...and a nice touch....

Your repaired display will carry a NEW 3-year warranty starting January 1, 2013

I called Dynon as my Skyview is installed but not powered. I thought that the serial number would be sufficient to know if my unit is subject to the SB. I was told that I do have to power the unit to find out, S/N is not sufficient. If you are in my situation, this may save you a phone call. There is no limit date for the claims anyway so... no sweat! :D

Thanks, that did save me a phone call. I am surprised that they could not tell from the number.
I guess it is not too hard to find a hot wire and power it up, will have to do that.

Thanks, that did save me a phone call. I am surprised that they could not tell from the number.
I guess it is not too hard to find a hot wire and power it up, will have to do that.

Might do that too if it's not too messy. Let us know how it goes, Don.

Good Response ... but ...

This is a great response from Dynon. However, it reinforces my concern with the "all the eggs in one basket" aspect of the SkyView RV-12. With the older Dynon in the RV-12, it least you had a Garmin GPS working if your D-180 failed. Or a backup D100. With the current system, if the SkyView fails, you're going to be flying by the seat of your pants and the stall warning buzzer.

With the current system, if the SkyView fails, you're going to be flying by the seat of your pants and the stall warning buzzer.

Your point is a good one, but regardless of what system you have, if you can't fly your airplane by the seat of your pants, well.... any system can fail in any airplane for any reason at anytime.

There are other options. I originally was including some steam gauges, but then I discovered the Dynon D1. With that totally independent system I can continue until I am ready to land, even if in the clouds. Backup to all that is my IPad with WingX, what a wonderful world of stuff out there!

Last edited:
If anyone out there hooked up juice to their Skyview early in the build, let us know how we can do that easily and safely. With the bundle of wires still in progress, I will need some study to power it up for this check.
Of course NOW is the right time for me to do that, while I would not miss the Skyview while it is gone back home.

Your point is a good one, but regardless of what system you have, if you can't fly your airplane by the seat of your pants, well.... any system can fail in any airplane for any reason at anytime.

I agree... and apparently Mike Seager does also.

When I did my BFR with him last week in the RV-14, one portion was making a take-off, flying the pattern, and landing, with the one and only screen shut off.

You might want to check with them first anyway. If I remember correctly, the bulletin says you have to have the 5.1 firmware installed and it is unlikely that you do. I'm not sure it can be applied without having the rest of the network devices (EMS, Xpdr, ADHRS, etc.) also plugged in.

Dynon has a great forum. Join! Dynon employees moderate it and answer questions directly. Checked my Skyview today, it is Group 1, SB does NOT apply. Serial #3411, delivered ~Feb 2012. Upgrade to version 5.1 went smoothly.

The datalogging feature looks really good and well-implemented! Here's how it works:
"Data saved includes over 100 items, and includes all ADAHRS (flight instrument) data, Engine parameters, GPS data, Autopilot status, Transponder status, time, and more."

The last 15 minutes of flight are always saved in an unchangeable 16-update-per-second, separate "RECENT FLIGHT DATA" log. It uses airspeed/altitude to start and stop recording into this log.

The other Log is the USER LOG and you select the sample frequency for that one.
"SkyView can record data as frequently as 16 times per second or as infrequently as once every 10 seconds. Recording more frequently trades off the amount of time that the data log covers. At once every 10 seconds, SkyView’s User Data Log can store up to about 150 hours of data. At 16 times per second, the log stores about 2 hours of data. When the data log fills up, the oldest data is automatically discarded to make room for new data."

I don't remember the full screen for that but you have about a dozen different choices.

All this is saved in the Skyview. At the end of the flight, you can put in your memory stick and save to it. It saves a simple CSV file openable in a spreadsheet or database program. Every column has the description of what it is and every row is a time-stamped record at your sample frequency. Very straightforward.

There is no option to save continuously to external memory during flight. Only the procedure mentioned.

I did not do a flight test today.

The new 5.1 manuals are downloadable at the Dynon site - details of this are in the Installation manual.

I agree... and apparently Mike Seager does also.

When I did my BFR with him last week in the RV-14, one portion was making a take-off, flying the pattern, and landing, with the one and only screen shut off.

I did 3 days, 8 flights, 43 landings with Mike. The highlight was when he shut off the Skyview - "yer lookin' too much at that", he said. We made a series of take-offs, pattern, and full stop landings. Not just one - Scott!!! Probably about 20-30 minutes with no nuthin' - nada.

They turned out fine. He said "those are your best flights yet."

I always said - since people are always asking "what happens if that magic screen goes off???" - I always flippantly replied "If you can't fly and land this little airplane without all that stuff - then take-up boating."

Well, Mike proved me not a Liar......

Bob Bogash
N737G

I think that comes with time Bob. After some years in my Cherokee 140, I felt very confident flying by just looking outside. In the early hours on a 12 however, the thought gives me shivers down the spine.

The other Log is the USER LOG and you select the sample frequency for that one.
"SkyView can record data as frequently as 16 times per second or as infrequently as once every 10 seconds. Recording more frequently trades off the amount of time that the data log covers. At once every 10 seconds, SkyView?s User Data Log can store up to about 150 hours of data. At 16 times per second, the log stores about 2 hours of data. When the data log fills up, the oldest data is automatically discarded to make room for new data."
It defaults to 4 times per second, which is eight hours of data.

I loaded my second flight into the SavvyAnalysis web site and I have to say, it's kind of fun to look at various squiggly lines and "read" your flight. I could see the (lengthy) wait for 122 degrees of oil temp followed by a rapid increase of airspeed, RPM, and altitude. I could see the early indications of a stability problem with my right side CHT sensor ($189 - I hope it settles down!). I could even see the period when I was using the altitude hold function of the autopilot as it hunted within a 50' range the whole time it was on.

It's going to be very useful for gathering data for the PAP flight cards. Much better than trying to make notes while flying. Having someone ride along to take notes for you (after the FAA five hours, of course) is pretty much precluded by the required 1,050 pound testing weight, so the data logging is definitely the way to go.

Back