What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview, Direct to Error

I have had an odd issue with Skyview that just came up. I have tried several ways to use the Direct To function but always get the same result. The flight path appears to go around the world! Instead of going West to a selected airport it goes East and reports that it is 6,000 some miles away yet i can see both my location and the GoTo airport on the display and they are less than 20 miles apart. I tried this for at least three nearby airports and all give similar results, 6,000 or so miles away and fly East first. I have not found anything in the settings menus to account for this. The GPS does report and display my location correctly. Am I doing something stupid?

What version of Skyview are you running? Do you have the latest nav database update? I've never seen this error--now I'm curious too!

Did not plan for enough fuel? I do have an extra 5 gal tank, will that help?

Karl, I am running version 7.1. The data base is a month out of date. The panel mount USB port does not work so I have to remove the instrument panel top to access the other USB inputs. I now have a new USB panel mount but did not install it yet.

It's not the sky view, your airplane has intervened , it wants to fly more:D:
If you don't give it what it wants ???????

Bird

where to?

I had similar that pressing direct tried to take me to a previous destination vice where I thought I'd selected.

Which airports are you trying to reach and how are you choosing them? Earth is about 29,000 miles round so 6000 is getting you someplace else vice greatcircle route. Perhaps using wrong IACO designator or error in database. I input what I thought was my destination once but it planned for a fix in the Midwest with designator I'd used.

Try scrolling to the destination with the cursor then pressing Nearest on the menu, then choose your destination and press Direct on menu. Pressing Info after Direct will reveal where the Sky view is headed.

Good luck

Maybe your ADAHRS is mounted pointing backwards???

Also, get a USB male-female extension cable about 3 feet long, just a few bucks from Amazon. Plug one end into the back of the Skyview and the other into a small hole into the glovebox. Open the glovebox door to do an update. Mine works perfectly, where the panel mount is intermittent.

Last edited:
I think that the problem has been resolved. I may have had an active flight plan as when I deleted the flight plan the Direct-To works fine. I tried it on a few nearby airports, actually three, and it is right on every time. Next time at the hangar I will activate a flight plan then try the Direct-To again. I had ASSumed that the Direct-To would override every thing else, maybe not so.
I am based at Los Lunas, E98, 20 miles south of KABQ.
I plan on removing the hard wired USB, taping it up and replacing it with female panel mount and a male plugin to the Dynon.

I "think" that if you ever buy the Dynon subscription for IFR charts, you have to put them on a USB drive and leave it plugged in to use them. Consider that for your plug mount.

If I was doing that I would not want a USB drive sticking straight down below the panel, (the RV12 plans position) or maybe straight out of the panel either.

A good thought Bill, not that we would EVER fly IFR in a 12 :).
I will relocate it to a more benign place, just in case.
I reread the Skyview manual on flight planning and Direct-To. It does imply that the Direct-To should trump every thing else. I will contact Dynon for clarification.
Henry

The subscription also has sectionals (more detailed than the base map I guess) and geo-referenced airport diagrams. Maybe overkill for a 12 but some folks like lots of info! I love the ADSB weather I have - particularly for those marginal VFR days - easy to read the current conditions at all airports and plot a good route, and change it in flight.

I did try the Direct-To function again with and without a flight plan. If there was a flight plan, active or not, the Direct-To function was wrong in both direction and distance by a lot. I updated the software to a later version, Nov. 14th, I was using 7.0.1 dated Sept. 16th. The problem has now gone away. It was probably something to do with my installation of the older software as opposed to the software itself.

I have the almost same results

I have had an odd issue with Skyview that just came up. I have tried several ways to use the Direct To function but always get the same result. The flight path appears to go around the world! Instead of going West to a selected airport it goes East and reports that it is 6,000 some miles away yet i can see both my location and the GoTo airport on the display and they are less than 20 miles apart. I tried this for at least three nearby airports and all give similar results, 6,000 or so miles away and fly East first. I have not found anything in the settings menus to account for this. The GPS does report and display my location correctly. Am I doing something stupid?
I have the same results. I have traced the location it adds to the flight plan at a point in the Atlantic ocean just east of the norther coast of Africa. I have tried every way I know how to delete it & no luck. There is no name for the way point so it ack's like its not there. But any time I set up a flight plan it add's some 6000 miles to the plight plan. Also I have never found the activate flight plane button. Help!! RV12 almost done, Registering it now
Thanks,
Stan Bahrns Effingham IL 1H2

Last edited:
Stan,

The location you describe sounds like 0 latitude, 0 longitude, which is just off the west coast of Africa. Sounds like the system is using this for some reason.

You can completely clear a flight plan in the flight plan menu. There is a "CLEAR FLIGHT PLAN" option. Try this, and then do a direct-to something near you, preferably using the NRST list. Let us know if this fixes it.

The other issue here is if the system has ever had a lock. You mention that you are building. Is your GPS connected, and is it getting a good signal? If not, the system may be defaulting to the last place it ever had a good GPS signal, which would be 0,0 if it has never had a signal.

The activate flight plan button is "NAVIGATE" which is highlighted when active.

Back