What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview "Battery test needed"

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I did the battery test as required, Skyview got off at 70 minutes which is good but I still have this pesky message. How to get rid of it? My only hope is that it will get away on its own when the battery is recharged after a few hours of flight.

You probably just ran down the battery without the SV being in Battery Test mode. It will not recognize the accomplishment of exceeding 60 minutes of running on battery unless you make it aware of the fact that you are doing the test.
The way to do it is to charge the backup battery fully, then switch of the Main power switch. SV will respond by noticing the loss of main power and showing the SV will shut down in 30 seconds. On that screen there is an option to the far right that says "BATTERY TEST" or similar. Press the button underneath that option and SV will perform the test that will get recorded. The screen looks like this:

IMG_0630.JPG

After the test has completed you will see it on the battery status page.

IMG_0636.JPG

Maybe this is my issue

I had the message about going to battery back-up when I shut down the Skyview after initial installation. Then as I continued to complete the project the message went away and the battery shows only 8.62 volts and a "?" on the first line of status asking whether the battery is connected. Also it says the last shut-down is "abnormal."

I believed it had gotten run down during early operations but I have been flying it for about 8 hours now and expected it to recharge. Is there something I need to do to re-set or something like this to determine whether the battery needs to come out?

I called Dynon on this and they were willing to test it if I wanted to return it but I am wondering if I just need to get the system in the correct configuration.

Last edited:
You probably just ran down the battery without the SV being in Battery Test mode. It will not recognize the accomplishment of exceeding 60 minutes of running on battery unless you make it aware of the fact that you are doing the test.
The way to do it is to charge the backup battery fully, then switch of the Main power switch. SV will respond by noticing the loss of main power and showing the SV will shut down in 30 seconds. On that screen there is an option to the far right that says "BATTERY TEST" or similar. Press the button underneath that option and SV will perform the test that will get recorded. The screen looks like this:

IMG_0630.JPG

After the test has completed you will see it on the battery status page.

IMG_0636.JPG

Hi Mac,

You talked about charging the back up battery fully. Could you explain how we are able to do this on the ground. I managed to run the battery test but it appears from the messages that the battery has not recovered during flying.

Thanks

Julian 120316

Check out the thread on the Dynon web site Support Forum. There is a discussion about this ongoing.

I wired in a separate power port to the Skyview using a relay. This allows me to slap a 12V, 5A power supply on the system to charge the battery.

You can also connect a high-capacity battery charger to the main battery, power on the Master and leave it for 4 hours. Probably not an option unless you have a ground power plug or access to the battery. You also need a charger capable of handling all of your normal master bus loads, the SV battery charging current and any current used to top-up your main battery.

Julian,

to charge the SV backup battery in a standard RV-12 configuration, you hook up a 12V battery charger to the main battery and turn on the Main switch. Let the system run until the SV is no longer charging the battery. You can watch the progress on the battery status page in the SV setup as seen in the small picture I had posted. You can also see on that screen if SV has detected the battery at all. If has not detected the battery or is not charging it, get it out and send it to Dynon for testing. I had problems with mine not lasting long enough and they replaced it right away.
To get it out you unclip the plug connected to the battery and remove the two screws holding the battery to the instrument panel deck.

Back