What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview and AFS

rvdave

Well Known Member
Wondered if anyone is using both skyview and afs, one or the other as backup, and what is your reasoning for doing so? I'm contemplating this for both redundancy and I like some features from both units.

Dave Ford
Cadillac, Mi
rv6 flying
rv10 building

I did GRT HX(2), Dynon D6 and Garmin 496 for redundancy. 2
Two power sources for GRT and 496. Three power sources for D6. I love it.

I'm not sure what your total panel looks like, so it's a little difficult to second guess and offer advice.

The answer to your question is that it will work. I'm not sure it's the best solution since both are rather large screens with different styles of user interfaces.

My preference if you were going to install multiple large screens is to have them from the same manaufacturer. For most of the vendors this will provide some redundacy, but some flexibility installation. For example, with the AFS screens, you can cascade serial ports if you need more than the four that are found in one unit. They also have the ability to share data, so that any of the functions are available on all screens.

My panel has a AFS 4500 EE, AFS 4500 EM, and an AFS 3400 MFD. The EE and EM both have AHARS, witch improves redundacy. The MFD is just a slave screen that sits in front of the right site. Any of the features can be displayed on any of the screens.

The value of this is that you have a common user interface. Although the MFD has a different menu tree. The benefit is that you can quickly look at any of the creens and it would be intuitive to you to switch screens.

My concern for having two large screens by different vendors is that you have to master two different user interfaces. I am of the belief that would increase complexity and your learning curve.

With that said, I do recommend another vendor's product for a backup. In my implementaion, this is not the primary backup, but it will serve as a tie breaker to let me know if I'm getting different data from any of the AFS screens.

In my case, I've choosen a Gemini PFD. It's about ready to ship. I chose it do it being less expensive and it is significantly smaller and weighs lighter than the D6. For those like Wayne who are recently flying, they didn't have this chose. Also, since it's the same vendor as my AP, I'm limiting the total number of vendors I have to deal with for integration and support.

I used to be a hard core fan of GRT. I really like what Rob has done with the 5000 line and would not hesitate to recommend them to any builder. My budget dictated that I go with 4500s, but after flying with a pair of 5500s, I'm already envious.

So after all this long diatribe, I would recommend that you go with two of the same vendor for the larger EFIS screens, then usea Gemini PFD or Dynon D6 for a backup. If you have awhile before you fly, you may want to take a look at the Gemini 880. Just be advised that it's not going to be shipping for probably a year.

My assumption is that your RV-10 will fly IFR. This is why I've put such an emphasis on the user interface. If it's intent is for VFR only, then any of the popular vendors EFIS are just fine.

AFS

I agree ith Bob on using the AFS system for both. Also my brain will only allow me to learn the functions/controls on one system.

Pat

I think the above is good advice. Get a good primary system; then invest in a small, easy to use backup (Gemini or D6) from an independent manufacturer. The second company advice is to guard against a ahared software error which might disable all the displays (of that brand) at once.

That's good advice I was looking for, currently leaning toward afs systems, aerosport panel, garmin gps. Gonna be selling my rv6 this fall, can't do much but plan until then. Saw Rob's afs video recently of an ifr realtime trip & panel shots illustrating traffic, HITS waypoints passing by, all very impressive. Still trying to understand adsb, weather, traffic configurations. That's where it's holding me up to commit to something.

Dave Ford
Cadillac, mi
rv6 flying
rv10 building

Back