What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sky's the limit or minimal amount needed?

Alex44

Just wondering your thoughts are...as I am collecting all the needed tools. We all know the Sky is the limit when building an RV-7 or any airplane for that matter. But what do you think a guy could complete a RV-7 slider, if he were to slow build it and paint himself and only use the necessary VFR panel. 40k?

Thanks,

Alex

Maybe with a run-out 320 and wood prop........... It would be a fun airplane. But would end up closer to 50,000

I think if you plug in the appropriate selections Van's estimator will give you a pretty good ballpark. I've purchased almost everything, resisted MOST of the temptations to spend more than necessary, and have found the estimator to be accurate within10%.

I actually came up with a cost closer to 50K and some odd change, if... like you say or what I am telling myself "You resist all the delicious temptations out there"!

wasn't there a magazine article in the last few years

Where someone got one completed below 40K, by using a engine requiring a rebuild,.. and other cost reduction measures?

I think the surest way to save big is to buy one or all of the kits used. Tools too. This site is a great resource.

Cost

My slow build -8 with Van's instruments, Dynon D10-A, Tru-Trak autopilot with vertical speed control, non TSO'd Icom 200 Radio, King KT-76 (E-bay), King KLN-90B (E-bay), McCauley constant speed prop and an IO-360 200hp Lycoming that I rebuilt from a core, no paint, ended up at around $53,000 3 1/2 years ago.

As you build, save up for the bargains that show up an jump on them when you can. Research for what you need and know what to look for so that you don't buy something that you don't need or can't use.

Last edited:
The early bird.....

....usually gets the worm, as well;)

I've beaten quite a few guys to bargains by being up at 5:30 ayem. Matter of fact, we bought our -6A by sending an immediate deposit via the bank transfer. The day we arrived in Texas to pick it up, a neighbor of the seller said that he'd have bought it, had he known.

You need to do some homework and know the going prices of items you need, so you can recognize a bargain quickly.

Best,

That line about the early bird just proves the worm should have stayed in bed... ;) Besides, I've found that bargains tend to come to me just by hanging out at the airport. I know one old guy was cleaning out his hangar and trying to get rid of an O-360 (not suitable for an RV and needed a rebuild or I might have taken it) and another guy gave me a small shear/brake because he was getting a new, larger one. It's not great but it works for the little I usually need to do. Now, if you'll excuse me while I finish my coffee before getting up and heading for the hangar... :p

I've seen a few completed RV's flying in the $40k range. You might want to look at them to get an idea of what a $40k plane looks like.

Back