What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolts/MilSpec Fasteners on -10

douglassmt

Well Known Member
I've seen lots of posts about these camloc type fasteners for installing the cowling on other RV models, but not a lot specific to RV-10s. In looking through my pix from Oshkosh of the many -10s, I didn't see many of the camlocs on cowls. Can I get some opinions from RV-10 owners/builders as to the usefulness of the camloc fasteners vs. the hinges for installing the cowl?

Seems like a common consensus is that it's a good compromise to use the camlocs on the top of the firewall and hinges everywhere else - that is if you don't mind the camlocs being visible.

My lower scoop is held on with the camlocks, and they are quite nice.

P3300019.jpg

Plus-----quick attachment of scoop, positive "click" when properly locked in. Latching part stays in place when you remove the scoop.

Minus----heavy, expensive.

I think using them for the top and bottom of the cowl to fuse joint would be slick:D

I think the consensus for RV-10 builders is that the hing pins work (except the bottom firewall), they are less expensive and arguably more attractive than the Skybolts/MilSpec/Camloc fasteners. With all those advantages, and few (if any) negatives, why pay $200-$400 more for an alternative. Even on the firewall top, the RV-10 has a better solution for securing the pins than the two seat RVs. For this reason, Camlocs are not even attractive there.

No real data here as I'm no where near that phase of the build, however I decided long ago to nix the hinges altogether and go MILSPEC all the way around. Even purchased a kit during a group buy. No real reason other than I like the look and mechanical action of the camlocs vs. the hinge.

We had to take my -10 top cowl off twice yesterday...

...and the philips screws are a pain. My -6 had camloks on top at the firewall, 4" spacing...a much better deal. The lower cowl on my -6 had three camloks per side (underneath) and that's what we're doing to the -10. Hinges along the sides and vertically down the lower cowl at the firewall.

Best,

Thanks

Hopefully more will chime in, but if I understand what you're saying Pierre, you recommend hinges along where the cowl halves join on the left and right sides, but use camloks all the way around the firewall? I can't tell from your reply whether your -10 has any camloks, or if you wish it did.

I have the Milspec camlocks for the entire cowl and am very happy with them. However, I don't have any experience with the hinge pins, so mine is a one sided observation.
Two years and 306 hours and no problems with the Milspec fasteners. I really like being able to adjust them easily.

Well I am planning on camlocks all the way. I have never liked the hinge pin idea at all, I think the upper pins on the top sticking out the top of the cowl looks very out of place and not very professional at all.

With over 30 years experienance in aviation screws and camlocks will always to better, and look better in my opinion.:D

It doesn't have any camloks....yet.

Hopefully more will chime in, but if I understand what you're saying Pierre, you recommend hinges along where the cowl halves join on the left and right sides, but use camloks all the way around the firewall? I can't tell from your reply whether your -10 has any camloks, or if you wish it did.

My airplane has hinges between the upper and lower cowls and vertical hinges that hold the lower cowl to the firewall. It's getting camloks around the top rear cowl at the firewall and three camloks underneath the lower rear cowl on each side of the air exit.

Best,

Back