What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt question

Weefle

Well Known Member
For those who have installed skybolts what did you do when you encounter a situation where the edge of one flange was dead center of a firewall #40 flange hole? I have about 6 that are like this. If I shift the flanges one way or the other inevitably there will be another #40 hole without sufficient edge distance. This is where the skybolt flanges overlap. I’m trying to keep the skybolt holes to the 3.5” center to center distance and clearance around the 4 motor mount bolts on the RV 10 as well. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Keith

Attachments

• CB5CAB99-BB2B-48C1-AFA5-1C40A0924125.jpg
    CB5CAB99-BB2B-48C1-AFA5-1C40A0924125.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Trim

The problem is if I trim and shift the adjacent flange it shifts the whole line up and I’ll eventually be in the same predicament some place else.

If it's the sandwiched flange, don't trim it. Just leave it. It's basically a shim. If it's the inside flange, trim so the rivet can be set.

For those who have installed skybolts what did you do when you encounter a situation where the edge of one flange was dead center of a firewall #40 flange hole? I have about 6 that are like this. If I shift the flanges one way or the other inevitably there will be another #40 hole without sufficient edge distance. This is where the skybolt flanges overlap. I’m trying to keep the skybolt holes to the 3.5” center to center distance and clearance around the 4 motor mount bolts on the RV 10 as well. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Keith

Can you put a long doubler to cover up the flange predrill flange?

Back