What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sky-Tec Starter Sprag clutch slipping

edclee

Well Known Member
Patron
Flew out to the coast for a $100 seafood platter and it was good, BUT, I barely got the engine started to return home. Battery was good, Bendix engaged the flywheel and started motor whined but prop barely moved. After several attempts, barely moving the prop but starter whirring, it finally went over TDC and the engine started. Flew home and troubleshot the problem with cowling off and clearly the starter was turning but the Bendix gear, engaged with the flywheel was not. I disassembled the started and found the sprag clutch was slipping. See Pics. It has a part number on it 1193 230908 and Made In Brazil. Anyone have any idea where I can get one? I hate to spend $1000+ for a new started when this is all that's wrong with it. IO-320, RV-9A. Sky-Tec 122-12XLT. Maybe someone out there has a broken starter with another problem I could get this part out of? The Bendix is the part shown with the wrench and incorporates the one-way sprag clutch.
Ed.

Attachments

• IMG_3808.JPG
    IMG_3808.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3809.JPG
    IMG_3809.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3810.JPG
    IMG_3810.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3811.JPG
    IMG_3811.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
Flew out to the coast for a $100 seafood platter and it was good, BUT, I barely got the engine started to return home. Battery was good, Bendix engaged the flywheel and started motor whined but prop barely moved. After several attempts, barely moving the prop but starter whirring, it finally went over TDC and the engine started. Flew home and troubleshot the problem with cowling off and clearly the starter was turning but the Bendix gear, engaged with the flywheel was not. I disassembled the started and found the sprag clutch was slipping. See Pics. It has a part number on it 1193 230908 and Made In Brazil. Anyone have any idea where I can get one? I hate to spend $1000+ for a new started when this is all that's wrong with it. IO-320, RV-9A. Sky-Tec 122-12XLT. Maybe someone out there has a broken starter with another problem I could get this part out of? The Bendix is the part shown with the wrench and incorporates the one-way sprag clutch.
Ed.
Call www.northernmobile.com they just sent me a replacment last week. Diane is great to work with.. about 18$ in parts

Wow, was that for a sky-Tec starter part???
no, its a ford part i believe. When i called them to get parts they told me the skytech starter is the same as a certain ford unit. I guess several people have sent their starters to them to rebuild in their "airboats"

Curious. I’ve not had the mechanical part of the starter apart, but it looks like a planetary gear arrangement and the plastic ring gear teeth stripped. I don’t think there is a sprague clutch in a starter, but certainly could be wrong. I am very familiar with Sprague clutches, and don’t see one in your photo.

As Ed pointed out, there is a sprag-, or one-way-, or overrun- clutch (all mean the same thing here) within the aluminum cylinder outlined in red:

1706936303184.png

And yes, the LS is based on the ubiquitous Ford PMGR design. Skytec just designed and built the engine adapter casting and maybe upgraded the planetary gear train. That's why the solenoid from a 2000 to 2005 Crown Vic (I chose that model because all of them used the 4.6L with that starter).

I just rebuilt my LS - the guts are all Ford Perm Magnet Gear Reduction (PMGR from the posts above) from what I can tell. The casting is the money part that makes new ones $1200(yikes). They are dirt simple to overhaul - some great videos on youtube. I got a bendix part from AMF Industrial for $14. My brushes were in good shape after 2800 hours. I cleaned, lubed, and reassembled. The 122 starters have a 9 tooth bendix and the 144s have a 10 tooth gear.

Bushing and Brush kits are available on Amazon and other outlets.

As Ed pointed out, there is a sprag-, or one-way-, or overrun- clutch (all mean the same thing here) within the aluminum cylinder outlined in red:

View attachment 55357

And yes, the LS is based on the ubiquitous Ford PMGR design. Skytec just designed and built the engine adapter casting and maybe upgraded the planetary gear train. That's why the solenoid from a 2000 to 2005 Crown Vic (I chose that model because all of them used the 4.6L with that starter).
Thanks for clarifying. I didn’t realize the overrunning clutch is contained in the bendix gear assembly.

Back