What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skipping the side skins - how?

BigJohn

Well Known Member
I have seen posts recommending leaving the side skins off and proceeding to do the fuel system and possibly other things first. I am at the point of starting Section 23 - Side Skins, and I'm wondering should I skip all of Section 23, or do the longerons and just not put the skins themselves on? What sections should I do before putting the skins on? Would it work out alright to do some of the seemingly self-contained sections that come later before joining to the empennage, to make it easier to move the fuselage around? Wondering what others have done and how it worked out.

Fuselage Access

John, as Ken Scott pointed out in the RVator Second Issue 2009, there is no access issues at all with the fuselage on its side, even with the skins on.
636960483_7NkFn-M.jpg

However, I do not have the tailcone on and will not be putting it on until I get everything done that I can on the fuselage without it. I think it will still be possible to turn the fuselage with tailcone attached up on its side but not as easily.

Tony

Last edited:
John,
Leaving the side skin and associated structure for later makes it much easier install the fuel lines, brake lines and wiring into the tunnel.
I stopped at the end of page 23-03. Jumped to page 23-05 to cut the spar holes in the skin and the on to 23-07 to fabricate the air conditioning units.
With those complete, I installed the fuel system and then the brake system. I'm currently working on the seat backs. I may look into doing some work on fwd upper fuse and the Roll Bar.
My Finishing Kit is on order. It should have been here by now, but Van's called and said it was delayed at least a week while waiting for parts. I guess it will be another week before I can add wiring to the tunnel before adding the side skins.
One priority I will have when the kit arrives, is fabricating the Fool Tank before my sealant goes belly up. It's chilling in the fridge in hopes it will last.
My hanger door is about complete so I can move out there to assemble the big parts soon.

Art Pennanen

Back