What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skins

Ron B.

Well Known Member
On the tailcone plans page 10-25, it shows a rivet layout. They depict the rivet size and type along the top of the side skins (triangles and squares). On the next page they show the aft top skin, no rivets are depicted along the forward and sides. It would seem that the sides of the top aft skin is to go under the top edges ( inside)of the side skins. This doesn't seem correct but following the rivet layout this is what I'm deducing? Otherwise they would show the rivets to use on along the 1032-L and -R longeron line on page 10-26, of the top skin.
Also the aft bottom skin F-1079 shows one rivet on the forward end on page 10-25. Both side skins show the bottom aft corner rivet implying the side skin is on top of the bottom, (which it has to be). F-1079 slides inside of the aft side skins, but the plan shows the forward center rivet to be on the F-1079 depicting it is on topof the bottom skin? This doesn't seem correct to me. Hopefully someone can make out my concerns and straighten me out.
Thanks Ron

On the tailcone plans page 10-25, it shows a rivet layout. They depict the rivet size and type along the top of the side skins (triangles and squares). On the next page they show the aft top skin, no rivets are depicted along the forward and sides. (aft top skin goes on top of the side skin, so the rivets are shared)

Also the aft bottom skin F-1079 shows one rivet on the forward end on page 10-25. Both side skins show the bottom aft corner rivet implying the side skin is on top of the bottom, (which it has to be). F-1079 slides inside of the aft side skins, but the plan shows the forward center rivet to be on the F-1079 depicting it is on top of the bottom skin? (Yes, this rivet is on top the bottom skin.)

Moral of the story, follow the plans for part layout, the rivet callout may vary in location.

Eric Gohr - "Finishing" kit

Ron,

The previous post should help your problem. One thing you will find is if you go ahead a few steps...sometimes more, and find where the part your working on fits in, you will find your answer. I can't stress enough the benefit of reading through the plans and visualizing the process. The RV-10 plans are the easiest of all of them. It's all spelled out in the future pages. Everytime I ordered a kit I ordered the plans for the next kit along with it. That allowed me to see even farther into the build with the pieces I was working on. It gave me insight on what to expect next without actually having the pressure to go out and work on THAT part of the kit.

Thanks guys
If the revit layout isn't to be taken seriously as in orientation then my second problem with the F-1079 is probably wrong . It's bottom flange must also go under the side and bottom skins?
And I did ask Van's to purchase additional plans and was informed they could only be purchased with each kit.

And I did ask Van's to purchase additional plans and was informed they could only be purchased with each kit.
Go to www.myrv10.com. Email Tim Olson, let him know your builder number, and ask him for access to the builders side of his site. Tons of good information there.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Last edited:
PJ , do you have Tim's email address. Tried to get it off his site but no luck. It's says to use the blue TIM but nothing comes up.

Ron, when you click that link, or the one next to it, it should bring you up a graphic that has my email address in it. I hate spam.....too bad I have to do that. ;)

Tim

David
Thanks for the photos. I think you have what Van's calls for. Yours looks great and we will follow.
Thanks for going out of your way to help, much appreciated.
Ron

Back