What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sketech starter spinning but occasionally not engaging.

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello,

The starter on my 8 has started (;)) acting up. Every now and then, when pushing the starter button I get the click of the relay, and hear the starter spin up but it doesn't engage. I tried bypassing the relay just in case (though I was pretty sure if it's spinning it's not the relay) and same thing. My understanding is you can replace the solenoid on the sky techs? Is there anything else to try before this like cleaning or oiling the gear/shaft seeing as it's intermittent?

Thanks all!

CW

Is the starter motor spinning or are you just hearing the “clank-ping” of the pinion gear *almost* engaging the ring gear?

Is the starter motor spinning or are you just hearing the “clank-ping” of the pinion gear *almost* engaging the ring gear?
It’s definitely spinning - can hear it spooling up and a little clanky, but it’s not shooting out to engage the flywheel.

Did the little nylon actuator on the front of the solenoid dislodge or break off?

Did the little nylon actuator on the front of the solenoid dislodge or break off?
Unknown - bringing the plane into annual in a couple weeks so I'll check it out. Wasn't sure if this was a common failure point and an apparent fix or not.

a easy fix of problem mixed luck on clean and lube. it is off ether way

@WingnutWick the starter solenoid must fully retract and close the high current contacts or else the starter motor won’t spin. The nylon part pulls on the pinion gear see-saw rocker which causes the pinion gear to move forward and engage the ring gear.

The typical issue is that the solenoid gets stuck and won’t connect the starter motor to the battery - starter won’t spin and you hear a clunk-ping sound…

Edit: assuming you have the PM/LS starter…Inline variant is a different matter.

Last edited:
Back