What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SJ Cowl AND Plenum oil stick door

Kenny Gene

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,

Anyone out there have pictures of how you designed and fab the oil door on the SJ Cowl AND Plenum?? Please post or link pictures,,,

Thanks so much.

Kenny Gene
RV 7a 294TC 552 hrs
RV 10 finishing up

just a note

On the -7, the oil stick is well aft and starboard of the plenum so you only have to design the door in the conventional way(s). I suspect the -10 is pretty similar. The plenum attaches to the baffles and although they are cut down, they are the same baffles as in a standard installation.

RV 10-SJ Cowl AND Plenum oil/stick access door(s)

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Anyone built or building an RV 10 with SJ Cowl AND Plenum have pictures of how you fab and/or design the oil/stick access door(s). Please post pictures, links or PM.

Thank you in advance.

Kenny Gene
RV 7a 294TC 552 hrs (9-07)
RV 10 finishing (7-15-10?)

Anyone out there have pictures of how you designed and fab the oil door on the SJ Cowl AND Plenum??

If you haven't discovered Deems Davis's site, you need to check it out.

Deems leads the RV-10 community when it comes to posting pictures (over 6,700). He also has the SJ cowl and made many customizations to the cowl.

bob

SJ cowl and Plenum access door

You're right about Deems and being a great guy AND resource.

I've talked to Deems several times on the phone. I've got his site as a favorite, but I'm not seeing the PLENUM access door for the IO-540. I know he has a Barrett cold induction like I have also.

Thanks for all the help,, Keep it going,, I'm a little slow.

Kenny Gene
RV 7a 556 hrs
RV 10 finishing

plenum oil access

Kenny,

I copied what Deems did on his plenum. I can not find the pictures on his site at the moment. I'll try to dig up some photos of my plenum and post it here.

Meanwhile check out a few good pictures of Robin's plenum here: http://www.painttheweb.com/painttheweb/RV-10/SJ_Plenum.aspx

Welcome to the "plenum fun" part of the project! Are you using Van's baffling, or going with the one Sam recommends? If you are using Van's stuff you'll probably need to make a "few" modifications.

Regards,
Lenny

SJ Cowl AND Plenum oil access door through Plenum

I'm using SJ Cowl and Plenum. I'm installing Will James' NEW Barrett Cold Air Induction cowl, but I'm looking for ways to have oil stick access and keep the plenum sealed during normal operations.

Thanks again for the links, pictures, help and comments.

Kenny Gene
7a 556 hrs 9-7-07 first flight
10 Finishing

SJ Cowl and SJ Plenum (RV 10) oil access door

Lenny,

The previous link had some great pictures, however no detail of the oil access door through the plenum,, nice 10, Robin Marks.

I have also installed the Flightline AC, so I'm working through the "blister & extra fiberglass work" in the front lower cowl where the compressor is.

Thats what I'm looking for, thanks again Lenny.

Kenny Gene
RV 7a 556 hrs
RV 10 Finishing

The beauty of it is, that there is no actual door on the plenum. See Deems' version. It's just a sealed recess in the plenum. Some people put a door on it in addition to the oil door on the cowling, but in my opinion this is a much more elegant solution.

I have the other air conditioning unit, wich has you install the compressor on the left side, which in turn gives you no room for the governor cable bracket. They do send you a different bracket to route the governor cable on top of the engine. It needed a bump on top of the plenum, and a bunch of modifications on the front to make the plenum removable without removing the governor cable. More fiberglass work than I bargained for, but in the end it worked out pretty well.
If you end up having to do that let me know and i'll snap some pics for you. My plenum is off the engine at the moment.

Lenny

Lenny,

The Flightline belt driven compressor is now on the left side (seated in plane view) and I will be fine with my governor bracket and cable, but I'll have a "bump" out about at the 3:30 clock position facing the prop, just between the air intake and cooling intake.

PM me you email and I'll send you a few pictures.

Anyone else have idea's, been there done that or know someone??

Thanks again.

Kenny Gene
RV 7a 556 hrs (9-7-07)
RV 10 Finishing (7-34-10?)

A 7a in 2007 and a 10 in 2010!!

Yep, i got a bump too. They did supply the bump but it was for the Van's cowling, so I had to make my own. Built it up with some modeling clay. No big deal.

Lenny

Back