What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sizing for a 3A

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
My son has joined the mad dash to the airlines and we’re looking at a 3A for him to build time in. Only question is his size. At 6’2” will he be able to fit! There’s not a -3 anywhere in the Houston area to test fit. Any info appreciated.

RV 3 fit

I have along body short legs,
My body size is equivalent of 6’ 4”
My flying pal is the opposite long legs and short body.
Only difference in fit is the amount of seat padding we use.

Hope this answers your question

Only problem with buying an RV 3 to build time on it will spoil him for all future aircraft as hardly anything compares to the handling of the RV 3

In my opinion buy it and enjoy

Rob
RV 3 G-BVDC

Awesome! That’s what I was hoping to hear. The plane we’re looking at is a 3A. On the Vans website it lists information about a spar change or upgrade but seems to only be required if you want to fly aerobatics. Can anyone shed light on that issue? Thanks all.

3A (Aerobatic)

If it truly is an “A” then it has had the spar mods done and is back to being aerobatic. The “B” has a completely different wing and doesn’t require as much research to be sure you know what you’re getting. Nothing wrong with the “A” but you need to really understand what that particular airplane has for wings. If it hasn’t had the mods then it’s a straight 3 and is limited to 4.4 G, must have a placard prohibiting aerobatics, and must have a G meter so you can ensure you don’t get too rambunctious.

Just research what you’re getting so you know in advance. Multiple rivit sizes and patterns used on the spar, glued or unglued skins, and fuel tank locations. First mod involved the rear spar attach and inner rib stiffening; second one was for stiffeners on the main spar webs between ribs to prevent bowing.

On the Vans website it lists information about a spar change or upgrade but seems to only be required if you want to fly aerobatics. Can anyone shed light on that issue? Thanks all.

Randy Lervold's RV-3 website has great info on the different RV-3 wing types (and their limitations) and the CN-1 & CN-2 wing mods, including Van's original letters to builders:

Last edited:
If it truly is an “A” then it has had the spar mods done and is back to being aerobatic. The “B” has a completely different wing and doesn’t require as much research to be sure you know what you’re getting. Nothing wrong with the “A” but you need to really understand what that particular airplane has for wings. If it hasn’t had the mods then it’s a straight 3 and is limited to 4.4 G, must have a placard prohibiting aerobatics, and must have a G meter so you can ensure you don’t get too rambunctious.

Just research what you’re getting so you know in advance. Multiple rivit sizes and patterns used on the spar, glued or unglued skins, and fuel tank locations. First mod involved the rear spar attach and inner rib stiffening; second one was for stiffeners on the main spar webs between ribs to prevent bowing.

The above info is only partially correct. The modification that changed the rear spar attached point and strengthened the inboard root rib is what makes an RV-3 be referred to as an RV-3A. There was no model designation for change notice 1 and change notice 2, so just because a particular airplane is referred to as an RV-3A doesn’t mean that these have been incorporated.

I bought my 3A from a person who's 6'4" or so, he's got long legs and moved the rudder pedals to the furthest forward position. Which he described as a very not fun job in a completed plane but possible.
I'm 6'2" and have short legs (32 inseam) , my head comes pretty close to the canopy. My plan is to modify the seat a little to be a bit more reclined to get my head lower.

RV-3 sizing

Greetings:

I'm 6'3" and 190lbs, and I fit just fine. The thing to remember is this; you don't sit in the-3, you strap on the -3. This aircraft literally becomes part of you. It is very responsive and light to the touch, I fly with just my thumb and first finger on the stick. I do take offs and landings with full grip. And I feel that it is the easiest to land. I transitioned in the -6, flying from the right side, and did ok. When I got in the -3, best landing I ever made, :rolleyes:of course after that it changed,:D I primarily do 3 point because that's what I am most comfortable with, there are others who only do wheelies. Point being this, do what fits you.

Just buy it, you won't regret it:D

Back