What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Siphoning made simple?

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
I would like to see if anyone knows where I can get a simple siphoning option for when I decide to empty my fuel tanks in preparation to change out my old fuel valve.

Long ago, in a past life I saw a guy at the moto racetrack who was using a hose with a simple check valve on it to get race fuel from a 5 Gal metal can into his race bike.

It was inserted inline on a piece of 3/4 hose. All he had to do was put one end (the proper direction of course) into the can and move the hose up & down a few time to get the flow started.

It was so slick. Now I hope someone here has a tip where I can find one, or any other simple siphoning source.

Check superjiggler.com. I just bought a couple at OSH this year but can't remember who I bought them from?

Just go to Harbor Freight. They have siphons (both bulb and pump types) for less than $10. Put one end in the tank, the other in the gas can, squeeze the bulb a few times and the gas should flow by itself.

However, the challenge in this case would be to get the siphon hose all the way to the low point of the tank. Not sure how you'd do that. Good luck though.

lots of ways...here's one...

clear plastic hose is nice, so you can see what's going on.
- start with enough hose to have a foot or so sit in the low end of the tank, when you have the flow going into your bucket, but don't use a mile of it or it will cause difficulty.
- slowly shove most of the hose into the tank, so that it fills with gas.
- cap the end with your thumb, pull hose from the tank, and lower enough to reach your receiver bucket....below the level of the tank of course.
- release your thumb, and the fluid in the line will 'pull' from the tank, starting the siphon.
- you can stop and start this numerous times if you need to change containers etc., as long as you clamp off or seal the hose so that it stays full of fuel.
- don't leave fuel in the hose as it will likely become contaminated.

there's lots on youtube, use at your discretion.

Why not just remove the sump drain valve from the bottom of the tank and drain from there? It is at the low point of the tank already so no worries about getting to all of the fuel. All you need do to stop the flow is stick your thumb on the opening to seal the flow off if you need to move cans to catch the fuel. Use a funnel to direct the flow into whatever container you need. Seems an awful lot easier than what has already been discussed.

They have the 'jiggler' type at Harbor Freight and Northern Tool. I've even seen them on sale recently @ HF for $4.99. They work GREAT!

Cathy, you can't siphon them dry. Listen to Steve; unscrew the drain.

Get a large metal funnel. Attach three wires to the funnel body. One clips to a good ground. The second clips to the airframe. The third gets a bare stripped end submerged in the fuel catch can.

Now touch the exhaust pipe with your finger before you reach into the running fuel zone. You're discharged and the rest is all at the same potential....no spark.

Back