What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single Whelen A413A vs Dual Whelen A490A vs XPAK604X-HR

akschu

Well Known Member
Patron
Fellow Builders,

I'm looking at strobe lights. I've narrowed it down to the following systems:

1. Whelen A413A HDA-CF central power supply which operates up to 3 lights. Requires high voltage lines to all of the strobes, but is simple, light weight (2.1lbs), synchronized. Cost is $405.

2. Whelen A490A TS CF at each wingtip. Only low voltage lines to all of the strobes, but is more weight, requires wires to each power supply for synchronization, and costs more at $530.

3. Whiskey Victor XPAK604X-HR central power supply which operates up to 4 lights. Requires high voltage lines to all of the strobes, but is simple, light weight (1.75lbs), synchronized, brightest at 51 joules, cockpit selectable flash options. Cost is half at $200.

I'm not really interested in the aeroflash units because they are only 10 joules and my reading is telling me that the current requirements are more than that. Also, led units just don't seem to be ready yet, and I'm not wanting to be a early adopter.

So the question for the group is:

1. Which do you recommend and why?
2. If you have a whiskey victor (creative air) unit, do you like it, is it noisy?
3. Are separate power supplies worth the cost and weight?

Thanks,
schu

Back