What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single brake hose setup pics…pls

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Vans plans are for the dual brakes even though single brakes are “standard”.

Well I’m only putting in pilot brakes (pls no trying to convince me otherwise) and I have no instructions.

Does anyone have any good pics of a single brake install? I’ve been looking at builder logs and those I’ve seen were either dual brakes or single on a taildragger.

I’m building the 7A btw.

Thanks.

Pretty simple. With dual-side brakes: From the reservoir on the firewall you have a Tee with two hoses going to the upper fittings of the copilot-side master cylinders.

For single-side brakes: Use two longer hoses from the reservoir to attach to the upper fittings of the pilot-side master cylinders.

I used slightly different approach on my -7

Since the lines from the reservoir to the master cylinder aren't under any pressure, I used the 1/4" tubing that came with the kit. I used a Parker W368PLP "Y" at the reservoir and Parker W369PLP 90° elbow swivels at the other end (see pics).

From the high pressure side of the master cylinders to the firewall and then to the brakes themselves I used teflon/steel braided lines from Bonaco.

TS/AS makes a great product as well -- I used their brake line kit on the RV-14.

Attachments

• IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 43
Copy RV8 setup?

If you want a single set of brakes, why not just copy the RV8 setup? :rolleyes:
Yes, you'll have to fabricate the proper length brake supply lines, or better yet, Tom will make them for you with teflon lines. Just sayin'.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Seems obvious to you as someone who probably owns an 8 and has the plans. Just sayin’. ��

Novel way to keep your F/O from touching the brakes ;)

Your post brought it to mind that I had just talked to Tom at TSFlightlines about replacing the plastic supply lines that have always had a small leak no matter what I've tried. I guess I finally got tired of wiping up the brake fluid drips and also figured this would be a good time to replace them when I comply with Vans SL-00047 at this year's condition inspection and replace the brake fluid. So the best advice I can provide is to get better brake supply lines than what comes with the kits. Here's a couple of pictures on my -8 for reference. This setup has a parking brake valve installed that is not shown on the plans (goes where Detail A is shown on the plans picture post #5). The steel braided lines go from each master cylinder to the parking brake valve and are the Vans supplied F-8105 hoses. The length was perfect for this setup as the parking brake valve does not add that much to the linear length of the brake system.
Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_6034.jpg
    IMG_6034.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6033.jpg
    IMG_6033.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Back