What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single bolt for the rudder pedals - RV14

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
I have read that a lot of people replace the 2 single small bolts at the bottom of the brake pedals, with a single AN3-56 long bolt.

Is this a common thing to do on the -14, or is it more applicable to other models?

In addition, if i went this route, am i correct that there is no need to use a castellated nut and split pin? (as the bolt can now be torqued in position between the 2 ears of the rudder pedals, and would not be subject to rotation - the pedal would rotate on the bolt).

As an aside, i can't get any AN3-56 bolts locally here, so will likely try and cut some threads onto a 3/16" piece of stainless rod.

I have never seen or heard it being done on a 14. The original hardware and design by Van's works well. Don't mess with it.

I have read that a lot of people replace the 2 single small bolts at the bottom of the brake pedals, with a single AN3-56 long bolt.

Is this a common thing to do on the -14, or is it more applicable to other models?

In addition, if i went this route, am i correct that there is no need to use a castellated nut and split pin? (as the bolt can now be torqued in position between the 2 ears of the rudder pedals, and would not be subject to rotation - the pedal would rotate on the bolt).

As an aside, i can't get any AN3-56 bolts locally here, so will likely try and cut some threads onto a 3/16" piece of stainless rod.
I used drill rod and wheel collars from McMaster on my -10. Works great.

The issue I was having is that using two short bolts can give you two hinge points that are not collinear and as a result, cause the pedals to bind. The drill rod solved the issue, and presents a single hinge point for the pedal. Remember, when you release the brake pedal, it needs to easily return. If it binds, it will cause the brake to drag...

If you do use a threaded rod, or bolt, you cannot tighten it completely so it would be a good idea to use a castellated nut and cotter pin.

If you decide to replace the bolts with a rod then the rod can be secured effectively by inserting a cotter pin in a cross-drilled 1/16" hole at each end, along with a 960-10 washer. There is no side force on the rod and it just needs the split pins to prevent it from sliding out. The rod can be plated low carbon steel, which is easier to drill than stainless.

I'm not familiar with the pedals on a -14 but on some other models the brake pedal sides are angled in and therefore the bearing surface with the rudder pedals is not parallel. This can cause the two individual bolts to bind and the solution is to replace with a long rod or bolt that runs from one side to the other.

Last edited:
Back