What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Simple Question page 24-02

kritsher

Well Known Member
On part F-1254 it says to dimple the two holes on either end of the slot for a #8 screw. When deburring the holes, I noticed that they are actually two different sizes. Anybody else notice this? Is this correct? I assume I proceed according to the instructions but just wanted to make sure. BTW, I can't find anything in the instructions about what gets attached here. (Must be in the finishing kit, which I don't have yet.) Can someone enlighten me?

Another question: I'm considering powdercoating these parts, along with the riveted roll bar assembly, the rear roll bar brace and the canopy decks, for durability and to provide a contrasting color. My plan is to cleco everything in place (back to the rear bulkhead), drill and tap the rollbar, and then disassemble, deburr, and powdercoat (with the tapped holes masked off). Anybody see any risks with this plan? (I'm a little worried that the thicker powdercoat will cause misalignment between the parts and/or that I'll have to drill out a lot of holes and that the powdercoat will chip. Any comments from someone with more powdercoating experience would be appreciated.

Powdercoat and grounding

Don't have my books here so I can't answer your first question, but many of us found that the roll bar was a VERY tight fit when installed-- powdercoating will make it even tighter. Also, if by brace you mean the bar behind the seats you'll find later that the GPS antenna mount and a couple of other things ground to that. I had to sand my paint off down to bare metal in a couple of places to get a good ground,

Wayne 143WM

On part F-1254 it says to dimple the two holes on either end of the slot for a #8 screw. When deburring the holes, I noticed that they are actually two different sizes. Anybody else notice this? Is this correct? I assume I proceed according to the instructions but just wanted to make sure. BTW, I can't find anything in the instructions about what gets attached here. (Must be in the finishing kit, which I don't have yet.) Can someone enlighten me?
Another question: I'm considering powdercoating these parts, along with the riveted roll bar assembly, the rear roll bar brace and the canopy decks, for durability and to provide a contrasting color. My plan is to cleco everything in place (back to the rear bulkhead), drill and tap the rollbar, and then disassemble, deburr, and powdercoat (with the tapped holes masked off). Anybody see any risks with this plan? (I'm a little worried that the thicker powdercoat will cause misalignment between the parts and/or that I'll have to drill out a lot of holes and that the powdercoat will chip. Any comments from someone with more powdercoating experience would be appreciated.

Ken, Have a look in section 34 (Canopy) Page 34-08 fig 1. You will see the canopy guide blocks installation. It will become clear.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/revisions/RV-12/Section_34.pdf

As for the powdercoat...as long as its not too thick....it should be fine!

Last edited:
Back