What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflexing Canopy

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have looked at lots of threads re using Sikaflex to bond the canopy . I am going this way, but have a question for those who have done it.

The plans call for a seal between the aft edge of the canopy and the frame. I presume this seal is not needed if Sika is used to bond the aft edge of the canopy to the frame as this would create the needed seal. Assuming enough Sika is used at the interface between the plexiglass and the aluminum frame hoop. Right?

This is the seal I mean:

Canopy Rear Seal.jpg

The plans call for a seal between the aft edge of the canopy and the frame. I presume this seal is not needed if Sika is used to bond the aft edge of the canopy to the frame as this would create the needed seal. Assuming enough Sika is used at the interface between the plexiglass and the aluminum frame hoop. Right?

Actually, this is not right. The seal you are referencing is the seal between the canopy (plexi and frame) and the roll bar - essentially, between the moving part (canopy) and the fixed part (roll bar and rear window). It is the equivalent of weatherstripping around a car door.

Also, since Sika installation is done to eliminate the plexi mounting screws, you are eliminating the screws that retain the seal.

I’m sure there are lots of methods for resolving this, but what I did was to countersink the canopy frame and use shorter screws. The heads of the screws are under the Sika bonding line. Since you can’t put a screwdriver into the screw heads after Sika installation, when you mount the nuts to retain the seal, you have to be very careful with torque, and need to use loctite or something else to prevent nut loosening.

If I remember correctly I went shorter countersunk screws with sikaflex on top. Do not use Loctite anywhere near your canopy or any plastic.

Back