What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I have read about some folks gluing their canopies on with Sika. What Sika product number did you use and where did you get it? I cannot find anyone locally that knows anything about it. Has anyone tried 3M windo-weld. That is what the local body shop supply guy recommended. He showed me his paint shaker that had been stuck to the concrete floor with it by the 3M sales rep something like 12 years ago. It is still tight. I bought a tube to play with on some scraps.

not far from you

Charles, I have my project at KCUB in Columbia. I have JUST finished gluing my 7 slider with SIKA. I used 226 Cleaner, 209D primer and 295UV adhesive. Glued the canopy to the frame, glued the side skirts on and then riveted them to the frame. Also glued my alum. aft skirts in place and riveted them to the side skirts per plans.

Got the SIKA from Jamestown Distributors in Rhode Island. Great people to deal with.

Feel free to contact me PM and I will give you contact numbers etc. I will be glad to show you what I have. My signature on here also has a link to my website. Go to the canopy section and look at the photos there.

I sure would do it again. We have 5 other 7s U/C on the field and so far I am the only one that has glued. There is also a 9A and a 4 U/C here with numerous others already flying.

Me too...

I used the same products from the same distributor with excellent results (not flying yet). I have complete confidence in this application if all prep and application processes are followed.

Me too, also :)

I used the same products from the same distributor with excellent results (not flying yet). I have complete confidence in this application if all prep and application processes are followed.
I've been flying since March 08, through Michigan winters and Sun-N-Fun heat with no problems. I still have my 'test coupon' laying around somewhere and whenever I run across it I yank it around a bit just for fun.

Web sites

I'm going to glue the slider on the new project. Any of you have websites of guys who have glued specific to the slider?

Thanks in advance.

Back