What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex finish

Hi all,

I am very pleased with the bond strength of Sikaflex 295UV however the surface finish I have achieved is bordering on the embarrassing. Can anybody suggest a way of improving the surface finish of a dreadful looking Sikaflex surface finish. :mad:

Many thanks,

Gerry.

Cover it up

The lesson I learned is the finish look comes with smoothing the sikaflex out as you apply it. And don't do the whole canopy then smooth it out - do 6 inches at a time because it skins very fast.

But now that its dry I use simple half circle seal from FlyBoyAssessories who I believe advertises on this website - Flightseal "D" Profile Weatherstripping.

Or don't hide it at all - be proud of no fasteners!!!

Rehabing the Sikaflex

Sikaflex sticks to itself pretty well. You could carefully cut down the high points with a very sharp razor. Then take some additional Sika, smooth it on and shape with an old credit card or something similar. Try a small patch first or make yourself a test piece to experiment.

Sikaflex

I.m down on the Gold Coast...If yu send me your tel no...I will call and arrange to come up to the Glasshouse Mts...We have just finished an Rv 8 canopy (2nd one)...it looked a bit horrible..but with further attention...it is now magnificent...don.t worry ..it can be fixed!!...

You can sand it after its cured to smooth it out, then maybe add another layer and smooth it with you wet finger.

You can sand it after its cured to smooth it out, then maybe add another layer and smooth it with you wet finger.

+1 here, it wet-sands very to a very nice matte finish with 320-500 grit. Kind of pills off as you go but looks very nice.

FP07092014A0000O.jpg

Back