What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sika primer question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I have the Sika 209 primer. Is there a time limit on this as to when the adhesive / sealant can be applied? The cleaner specifies but I cannot find anything on the primer.
Thanks in advance!

Really, it should be done within a couple of hours.

Go to the Sika site and you will find tech data sheets for download. They are very informative.

We put the primer on and it dries very, very quickly. The adhesive was applied in the same session and all was done in about 2 hours from start to beer.....:D

sika primer

I cleaned , then primed both parts, as soon as i set down the brush and took a big breath, i applied the sika. This is the third time i have used sika over a four year time frame and everythings A OK.

Timing is everything!

I have the Sika 209 primer. Is there a time limit on this as to when the adhesive / sealant can be applied? The cleaner specifies but I cannot find anything on the primer.
Thanks in advance!
YES - the adhesive must be applied within 2 hours. Adhesion properties degrade when that timeframe is exceeded.

I am wondering where the time frame is stated. On my 226 Cleaner it says:

"Allow cleaner to dry 10 minuets but not more than 2 hours before installing adhesive or sealant".

The primer goes over the cleaner. The primer says nothing about time. I put the primer on today, I will put the sealer/adhesive on tomorrow. Hopefully it will stick;)

I'd advise a re-prime

I am wondering where the time frame is stated. On my 226 Cleaner it says:

"Allow cleaner to dry 10 minuets but not more than 2 hours before installing adhesive or sealant".

The primer goes over the cleaner. The primer says nothing about time. I put the primer on today, I will put the sealer/adhesive on tomorrow. Hopefully it will stick;)
I suggest re-priming and then applying the adhesive within 2 hours. When Sika was first used by an RVer, he did extensive testing and applying the adhesive 24 hours after priming showed a significant degradation in properties.

videos

Charles,

Have you watched the videos on SIKAFLEX from Jamestown Dist?

Here is a link to their site.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...xt=sikaflex&resultPref=all&page=GRID&history=

I believe before I glued mine, I watched the videos a few times. I vaguely remember hearing that there is a two hour window after the primer to apply the adhesive. You also want the primer to be very clean. Even after gluing, to do the touch-up fillets, we cleaned and primed again before doing them.

Hope this helps.

Back