What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Side baggage door

Coinneach

Well Known Member
Is it possible (or recommended) to cut side doors into a -9's baggage area? Going over the seats seems awkward.

I suppose anything is possible. Initially, I wanted to do just such a thing so that I could easily load my dog into the back.

After further consideration, I abandoned the idea. That whole area lends HUGE strength to the assembly. To do willy nilly, feel good engineering there would be just wrong.

Just my $0.02...

:) CJ

That's what I figured. I looked over the plans and couldn't see any way to make up for the loss of skin strength.

If you built a slider then you can use the Meske tip-up mod. Works great for rear access.

I'm doing a tip-up. Baggage access in the tipper -9A that I got a ride in didn't really impress me; looked like it required a lot of gymnastics.

Baggage access

I don't remember who did it, but someone replaced the rear canopy window of a tipup with gull-wing baggage doors. It is structurally sound, and certainly makes access easy. I saw pics of it, and it looks decent, too.

Cut the seat back down

I have a tip-up and I'm thinking of cutting an inch or two off the top of the seat back. Since my plane is finished, I have to redo the seat upholstery, that's why I haven't done it yet. As a bonus, you will save a little weight!

Bruce
RV-6A 480 hours on grass

I don't remember who did it, but someone replaced the rear canopy window of a tipup with gull-wing baggage doors. It is structurally sound, and certainly makes access easy. I saw pics of it, and it looks decent, too.

Very cool, I'll look for this mod. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Is it possible (or recommended) to cut side doors into a -9's baggage area? Going over the seats seems awkward.

You might not need this. I've loaded folding bikes and lots of luggage through the top. It really isn't a big thing - and I even have a slider.

Back